* [U-Boot] ad-hoc CONFIG build error
@ 2016-09-19 15:14 Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2016-09-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Tom, Simon,

I'm seeing the following error when building sandbox in either
u-boot.git master branch or u-boot-dm.git master branch:

Error: You must add new CONFIG options using Kconfig
The following new ad-hoc CONFIG options were detected:
CONFIG_DISK
CONFIG_HAVE_GENERIC_BOARD
CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_3036_PINCTRL
CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_PINCTRL
CONFIG_SYS_HUSH_PARSER

Please add these via Kconfig instead. Find a suitable Kconfig
file and add a 'config' or 'menuconfig' option.
make[1]: *** [no_new_adhoc_configs_check] Error 1

This is from my Jenkins install, which does incremental builds. I
haven't yet checked whether non-incremental builds work any better.

* [U-Boot] ad-hoc CONFIG build error
@ 2016-09-19 15:22 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-09-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 09:14:30AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Tom, Simon,
>
> I'm seeing the following error when building sandbox in either
> u-boot.git master branch or u-boot-dm.git master branch:
>
> Error: You must add new CONFIG options using Kconfig
> The following new ad-hoc CONFIG options were detected:
> CONFIG_DISK
> CONFIG_HAVE_GENERIC_BOARD
> CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_3036_PINCTRL
> CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_PINCTRL
> CONFIG_SYS_HUSH_PARSER
>
> Please add these via Kconfig instead. Find a suitable Kconfig
> file and add a 'config' or 'menuconfig' option.
> make[1]: *** [no_new_adhoc_configs_check] Error 1
>
> This is from my Jenkins install, which does incremental builds. I
> haven't yet checked whether non-incremental builds work any better.

So, non-incremental should be fine.  What's odd is that the above
options are long done from the tree.  So why are they persisting
somewhere?

--
Tom
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 09:14:30AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>> Tom, Simon,
>>
>> I'm seeing the following error when building sandbox in either
>> u-boot.git master branch or u-boot-dm.git master branch:
>>
>> Error: You must add new CONFIG options using Kconfig
>> The following new ad-hoc CONFIG options were detected:
>> CONFIG_DISK
>> CONFIG_HAVE_GENERIC_BOARD
>> CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_3036_PINCTRL
>> CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_PINCTRL
>> CONFIG_SYS_HUSH_PARSER
>>
>> Please add these via Kconfig instead. Find a suitable Kconfig
>> file and add a 'config' or 'menuconfig' option.
>> make[1]: *** [no_new_adhoc_configs_check] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>
>> This is from my Jenkins install, which does incremental builds. I
>> haven't yet checked whether non-incremental builds work any better.
>
> So, non-incremental should be fine.  What's odd is that the above
> options are long done from the tree.  So why are they persisting
> somewhere?

I've found the issue. Dependencies are missing for u-boot.cfg, so it
isn't getting rebuilt, and hence keeps references to old CONFIG options.
I'll send patches after some testing.