* couple questions about IMAGE_BASENAME usage
@ 2021-04-02 18:13 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-04-02 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

  first, given that the default value of IMAGE_BASENAME is simply the
package name, then i'm assuming that things like this in
core-image-tiny-initramfs.bb:

  export IMAGE_BASENAME = "core-image-tiny-initramfs"

are superfluous, yes?

  also, i'm curious about the difference between these two image
recipes:

core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "${MLPREFIX}core-image-minimal-initramfs"
core-image-tiny-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "core-image-tiny-initramfs"

why does the first accommodate the multilib prefix MLPREFIX, while the
second does not?

rday

* Re: [OE-core] couple questions about IMAGE_BASENAME usage
@ 2021-04-05  3:54 ` Alejandro Hernandez Samaniego
From: Alejandro Hernandez Samaniego @ 2021-04-05  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Robert

On 4/2/2021 12:13 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    first, given that the default value of IMAGE_BASENAME is simply the
> package name, then i'm assuming that things like this in
> core-image-tiny-initramfs.bb:
>
>    export IMAGE_BASENAME = "core-image-tiny-initramfs"
>
> are superfluous, yes?

In some way it is (at least the definition), although passing the export
keyword causes a different behavior,

you can look this up on the Bitbake manual, section Exporting Variables
To The Environment.

>    also, i'm curious about the difference between these two image
> recipes:
>
> core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "${MLPREFIX}core-image-minimal-initramfs"
> core-image-tiny-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "core-image-tiny-initramfs"
>
> why does the first accommodate the multilib prefix MLPREFIX, while the
> second does not?

The recipe for core-image-tiny-initramfs is based on
core-image-minimal-initramfs,

going throught the git log  it seems that a bug was found and it was
only fixed for

core-image-minimal-initramfs and not for the tiny one at e18b7e77ed7 , I
encourage

you to send patches for these kind of findings, after doing some digging
if something

is still not making sense, then theres a chance it needs to be fixed
(like tihs one)

Cheers,

Alejandro

@ 2021-04-05  9:59   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-04-05  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021, Alejandro Hernandez Samaniego wrote:

> On 4/2/2021 12:13 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>   also, i'm curious about the difference between these two image
> recipes:
>
> core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "${MLPREFIX}core-image-minimal-initramfs"
> core-image-tiny-initramfs.bb:export IMAGE_BASENAME = "core-image-tiny-initramfs"
>
> why does the first accommodate the multilib prefix MLPREFIX, while
> the second does not?
>
> The recipe for core-image-tiny-initramfs is based on
> core-image-minimal-initramfs, going throught the git log it seems
> that a bug was found and it was only fixed for
> core-image-minimal-initramfs and not for the tiny one at
> e18b7e77ed7, I encourage you to send patches for these kind of
> findings, after doing some digging if something is still not making
> sense, then theres a chance it needs to be fixed (like tihs one)

  mucking around with git log and blame, i note that MLPREFIX was
added to that first image along with this line in image-live.bbclass:

INITRD_IMAGE_LIVE ?= "${MLPREFIX}core-image-minimal-initramfs"

  so my initial reaction was to simply add ${MLPREFIX} to the second
image mentioned above, but now i'm not so sure -- i'm open to
suggestions.

rday