* OE Linux & board-support-package
@ 2022-05-05  3:42 jchludzinski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jchludzinski @ 2022-05-05  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto

OE Linux uses device tree files (*.dts and *.dtsi files), so is there
any need for a board-support-package?

* Re: [yocto] OE Linux & board-support-package
@ 2022-05-05  5:54 ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2022-05-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jchludzinski; +Cc: Yocto

Hello J,

Please, could you be more specific?

Thank you,
Zee
_______

@ 2022-05-05  6:39   ` jchludzinski
       [not found]     ` <0f7fd537-cb79-29ab-d3fe-99bcc0d5811f@bootlin.com>
From: jchludzinski @ 2022-05-05  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: Yocto

A board-support-package (BSP) is software that provides a layer of
abstraction from the physical board specifics for the host embedded OS
(e.g., VXworks).

I believe the device tree files (*.dts, *dtsi) in OE Linux provide the
same function. It allows to OE kernel code to be independent of device
specifics.

@ 2022-05-05  8:43       ` jchludzinski
From: jchludzinski @ 2022-05-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.opdenacker; +Cc: Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto

OK, let's go with that.

I've watched the "Live Coding with Yocto Project #1: download and first
build" youtube video. Where is the BSP built in this procedure?

On 2022-05-05 03:16, Michael Opdenacker via lists.yoctoproject.org

@ 2022-05-05  8:47         ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2022-05-05  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jchludzinski; +Cc: michael.opdenacker, Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto

Howdy!

Am Do., 5. Mai 2022 um 10:43 Uhr schrieb jchludzinski via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<jchludzinski=vivaldi.net@lists.yoctoproject.org>:

> OK, let's go with that.
>
> I've watched the "Live Coding with Yocto Project #1: download and first
> build" youtube video. Where is the BSP built in this procedure?

The BSP that is implicitly used in that video is the generic QEMU one,
which comes included with poky. Technically speaking, it lives in
https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/conf/machine and
https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_5.15.bb

A BSP can be many things, and this one is a rather small one, as
booting into and running linux on QEMU doesn't need patching and all
that, so in that case it comes pretty close to the perfect world that
Michael mentioned.

Greetz,
Josef (who did that video, actually)

@ 2022-05-05  9:51           ` jchludzinski
From: jchludzinski @ 2022-05-05  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josef Holzmayr; +Cc: michael.opdenacker, Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto

OK, let me try this:

With other embedded OS's, the hardware specifics that are in the BSP are
in the device trees in Linux. I assume the BSP's for OE Linux are rather
simple?

@ 2022-05-05 10:22             ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2022-05-05 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jchludzinski, jchludzinski via lists.yoctoproject.org, Josef Holzmayr
  Cc: michael.opdenacker, Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto

BSP is not a well defined term in embedded Linux. Back in the day, Montavista tried to popularise the term LSP, meaning Linux Support Package but it never caught on. These days, BSP generally means all the things you need to run a basic system. So that's bootloader, device tree, kernel config, kernel patches (if any), and firmware blobs. It can also include user space config such as video codecs, opengl libraries, and systemd units to start the respective daemons.

SoC and SoM vendors often overload their OE BSPs with irrelevant demo apps as well. Constant bugbear of system integrators.

HTH,
Chris

@ 2022-05-05 10:26               ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-05-05 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csimmonds
  Cc: jchludzinski, jchludzinski via lists.yoctoproject.org,
	Josef Holzmayr, Michael Opdenacker, Zoran Stojsavljevic, Yocto

Demo apps is the least of the worst. They also add benchmarks, make
tweaks to components that are in distribution (rather than hardware
support) scope, and even go ahead and define their own distributions,
and then make it impossible or very difficult to separate the distro
from the BSP. Oh, and all of this on top of yocto from 2014.

That's where the 'vendor from hell' moniker comes from.

Alex

@ 2022-05-06 11:55 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2022-05-06 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jchludzinski; +Cc: Yocto

On 5 May 2022, at 04:42, jchludzinski via lists.yoctoproject.org <jchludzinski=vivaldi.net@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> OE Linux uses device tree files (*.dts and *.dtsi files), so is there any need for a board-support-package?

In the glorious future, they will be much smaller.

Note how meta-arm has generic Intel BSPs, and thanks to recent standardisation in Arm (SystemReady, etc) there’s a generic-arm64 machine in meta-arm too.

Of course, reality and theory rarely agree, and in the embedded/iot space there is a much greater need for customisation, so I don’t expect to see “BSPs” disappearing shortly.

Ross

* Re: [yocto] OE Linux & board-support-package
@ 2022-05-06 12:13   ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-05-06 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: jchludzinski, Yocto

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 13:55, Ross Burton <ross.burton@arm.com> wrote:
> > OE Linux uses device tree files (*.dts and *.dtsi files), so is there any need for a board-support-package?
>
> In the glorious future, they will be much smaller.
>
> Note how meta-arm has generic Intel BSPs, and thanks to recent standardisation in Arm (SystemReady, etc) there’s a generic-arm64 machine in meta-arm too.
>
> Of course, reality and theory rarely agree, and in the embedded/iot space there is a much greater need for customisation, so I don’t expect to see “BSPs” disappearing shortly.

There's an even more glorious and even more distant future, where all
hardware supports virtio, and there is no need for custom vendor
drivers at all. Also, everyone would be using risc-v by then.

Alex

* Re: [yocto] OE Linux & board-support-package
@ 2022-05-07  6:12 ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2022-05-07  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jchludzinski; +Cc: Yocto

This is very interesting... How do some people, or system IT
"designers", or System guys, perceive the term: "Board Support
Package"???

Funny, isn't it? Or, at least, pejorative!?

Zee
_______