* looking to boot core-image-minimal on meta-riscv board
@ 2022-02-25 16:36 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-02-25 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  a friend of mine is diving into trying to boot linux on a meta-riscv
linux starter kit -- he's not using YP, and this is what he's
targeting:

  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003751298305.html

  since i've wanted to jump into meta-riscv for a while, i figured i'd
play along and ordered something more substantial:

  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002796061251.html

in any event, here's the story so far.

  as a first pass, i just fired up YP and built for qemuriscv64 to
establish a baseline, and that seems to work just fine, booting with
"runqemu nographic." and that at least gives me a bunch of config info
i can look at later.

  as for my actual target board, i know that the meta-riscv layer
defines support for two boards, neither of which is the one i will be
getting, but while i'm waiting for it, i can at least start
documenting all of the relevant settings and config values i'll want
to try.

  i know precious little about meta-riscv, so is there a sane way to
prepare for the eventual arrival of my board? my plan is to get
familiar with how the meta-riscv layer builds for the two supported
boards, so i'll have a handle on what i'll need to configure.

  any further advice would be most appreciated.

* Re: [yocto] looking to boot core-image-minimal on meta-riscv board
@ 2022-02-25 21:09 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-02-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   a friend of mine is diving into trying to boot linux on a meta-riscv
> linux starter kit -- he's not using YP, and this is what he's
> targeting:
>
>   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003751298305.html
>
>   since i've wanted to jump into meta-riscv for a while, i figured i'd
> play along and ordered something more substantial:
>
>   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002796061251.html
>
> in any event, here's the story so far.
>
>   as a first pass, i just fired up YP and built for qemuriscv64 to
> establish a baseline, and that seems to work just fine, booting with
> "runqemu nographic." and that at least gives me a bunch of config info
> i can look at later.
>
>   as for my actual target board, i know that the meta-riscv layer
> defines support for two boards, neither of which is the one i will be
> getting, but while i'm waiting for it, i can at least start
> documenting all of the relevant settings and config values i'll want
> to try.
>
>   i know precious little about meta-riscv, so is there a sane way to
> prepare for the eventual arrival of my board? my plan is to get
> familiar with how the meta-riscv layer builds for the two supported
> boards, so i'll have a handle on what i'll need to configure.
>
>   any further advice would be most appreciated.

We should add them to meta-riscv as reference BSPs. I have port
of unmatched locally and have been trying to get the needed changes
into meta-sifive which is still pending.

* Re: [yocto] looking to boot core-image-minimal on meta-riscv board
@ 2022-02-26 11:46   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-02-26 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 8:36 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> >   a friend of mine is diving into trying to boot linux on a meta-riscv
> > linux starter kit -- he's not using YP, and this is what he's
> > targeting:
> >
> >   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003751298305.html
> >
> >   since i've wanted to jump into meta-riscv for a while, i figured i'd
> > play along and ordered something more substantial:
> >
> >   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002796061251.html
> >
> > in any event, here's the story so far.
> >
> >   as a first pass, i just fired up YP and built for qemuriscv64 to
> > establish a baseline, and that seems to work just fine, booting with
> > "runqemu nographic." and that at least gives me a bunch of config info
> > i can look at later.
> >
> >   as for my actual target board, i know that the meta-riscv layer
> > defines support for two boards, neither of which is the one i will be
> > getting, but while i'm waiting for it, i can at least start
> > documenting all of the relevant settings and config values i'll want
> > to try.
> >
> >   i know precious little about meta-riscv, so is there a sane way to
> > prepare for the eventual arrival of my board? my plan is to get
> > familiar with how the meta-riscv layer builds for the two supported
> > boards, so i'll have a handle on what i'll need to configure.
> >
> >   any further advice would be most appreciated.
>
> We should add them to meta-riscv as reference BSPs. I have port of
> unmatched locally and have been trying to get the needed changes
> into meta-sifive which is still pending.

  so you have working BSPs for both of those? very cool. warning that
i know effectively nothing about RISC-V but this is apparently my
weekend project to dig into it. i don't see a meta-riscv-specific
mailing list, so i assume if i want to start sending simple patches
for meta-riscv, they would go here?

  already built and tested qemuriscv64, so i guess i'll work backwards
from there and examine the configuration and construction of the
components. opensbi, here we come ...

rday

* Re: [yocto] looking to boot core-image-minimal on meta-riscv board
@ 2022-02-26 17:29     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-02-26 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list