* [Cocci] Improved filtering for a big function collection with SmPL?
@ 2016-12-19 16:45 SF Markus Elfring
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.20.1612191748480.18389@hadrien>
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-12-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

Hello,

I tried the Coccinelle software out for another source code analysis approach
on source files from NetBSD 7.0.2.
A small SmPL script worked mostly so good that 136978 non-static function
implementations were finally found with a non-void return type there.

* Can such an analysis result trigger further software development considerations?

* I imagine that this function collection can only be used for some benefit
  if it will be grouped and filtered to specific needs.

* Would you like to suppress any functions from this data extraction?

Regards,
Markus

@ 2016-12-19 17:06   ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2016-12-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cocci

> Why were you looking for such functions in the first place?

These functions provide various return values. I am curious on how often
the returned values will actually be checked and used (or not).

> If you want non-static non-void functions and you find them,
> then what is the issue?

NetBSD contains a lot of components from various software. I tried to get
an impression from the size of the corresponding function collection.

The mentioned concrete size will show further software development challenges
if meaningful source code transformations should be performed with such data,
won't it?

Regards,
Markus