* New RC needed for stablility?
@ 2018-04-30 12:57 Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2018-04-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, thomas, ferruh.yigit

Hi Thomas, Ferruh, all,

Initial testing on RC1 from our System Test and Validation shows a lot of
defects/issues, and from the list it appears others may be seeing issues
too. These issues, as well as causing test failures are blocking other
tests from being run. We are also seeing some serious performance
regressions with testpmd.

Based on the number of issues we are seeing, which is probably a result of
the huge number of changes in this release even at the RC1 point, I would
propose that we look to do a new RC some time this week to get as many
critical bugs as possible ironed out, before we add in the remaining 18.05
features. That is: *bug-fix only* RC2, say Wed/Thurs (or sooner if fixes
are ready), with remaining features in RC3 as planned on 11th.

Thoughts, comments?

/Bruce

* Re: New RC needed for stablility?
@ 2018-04-30 13:02 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-04-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev, ferruh.yigit

30/04/2018 14:57, Bruce Richardson:
> Hi Thomas, Ferruh, all,
>
> Initial testing on RC1 from our System Test and Validation shows a lot of
> defects/issues, and from the list it appears others may be seeing issues
> too. These issues, as well as causing test failures are blocking other
> tests from being run. We are also seeing some serious performance
> regressions with testpmd.
>
> Based on the number of issues we are seeing, which is probably a result of
> the huge number of changes in this release even at the RC1 point, I would
> propose that we look to do a new RC some time this week to get as many
> critical bugs as possible ironed out, before we add in the remaining 18.05
> features. That is: *bug-fix only* RC2, say Wed/Thurs (or sooner if fixes
> are ready), with remaining features in RC3 as planned on 11th.
>
> Thoughts, comments?

OK +1

We need to agree on a list of bugs to be fixed.
Are there some Bugzilla entries?
When they will be fixed, I will tag the RC2.

* Re: New RC needed for stablility?
@ 2018-05-02 10:35   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-05-02 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On 4/30/2018 2:02 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 30/04/2018 14:57, Bruce Richardson:
>> Hi Thomas, Ferruh, all,
>>
>> Initial testing on RC1 from our System Test and Validation shows a lot of
>> defects/issues, and from the list it appears others may be seeing issues
>> too. These issues, as well as causing test failures are blocking other
>> tests from being run. We are also seeing some serious performance
>> regressions with testpmd.
>>
>> Based on the number of issues we are seeing, which is probably a result of
>> the huge number of changes in this release even at the RC1 point, I would
>> propose that we look to do a new RC some time this week to get as many
>> critical bugs as possible ironed out, before we add in the remaining 18.05
>> features. That is: *bug-fix only* RC2, say Wed/Thurs (or sooner if fixes
>> are ready), with remaining features in RC3 as planned on 11th.
>>
>> Thoughts, comments?
>
> OK +1
>
> We need to agree on a list of bugs to be fixed.

The issues worked on for the rc2 is as following:

- Deadlock caused on eal by control threads
- Virtio memory issue.
- Several sample apps gives error because of rte_eth_dev_configure(),
dev_info.flow_type_rss_offloads check.
- 32bits DPDK applications are broken