* Multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs: When to use own build dir, SSTATE_DIR, DL_DIR ?
@ 2019-05-09  9:31 Fabian Knapp
From: Fabian Knapp @ 2019-05-09  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

we have multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs and Im wondering for which combinations I have to setup a dedicated build dir, SSTATE_DIR and DL_DIR.

Information in the form of:

Each (change of) MACHINE needs its dedicated SSTATE_DIR and build dir but can share DL_DIR.

would be very helpful for me.

Thank you in advance.

Fabian

[Visit us at EES Europe]<http://www.thesmartere.de>

* Re: Multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs: When to use own build dir, SSTATE_DIR, DL_DIR ?
@ 2019-05-09  9:56 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-05-09  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Knapp; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 10:47, Fabian Knapp <knapp@ambibox.de> wrote:

> we have multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs and Im wondering for which
> combinations I have to setup a dedicated build dir, SSTATE_DIR and DL_DIR.
>
> Information in the form of:
>
> Each (change of) MACHINE needs its dedicated SSTATE_DIR and build dir but
> can share DL_DIR.

You can always share DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR.

Ross

* Re: Multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs: When to use own build dir, SSTATE_DIR, DL_DIR ?
@ 2019-05-09  9:57 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2019-05-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Knapp; +Cc: yocto

SSTATE_DIR and DL_DIR can (and should) be shared between all builds.

Each MACHINE/DISTRO combination works best with it's own build_dir.

Alex

@ 2019-06-09 22:11   ` Ulf Samuelsson
From: Ulf Samuelsson @ 2019-06-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Den 2019-05-09 kl. 11:56, skrev Burton, Ross:
> On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 10:47, Fabian Knapp <knapp@ambibox.de
> <mailto:knapp@ambibox.de>> wrote:
>
>     we have multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs and Im wondering for which
>     combinations I have to setup a dedicated build dir, SSTATE_DIR and
>     DL_DIR.
>
>     Information in the form of:
>
>     Each (change of) MACHINE needs its dedicated SSTATE_DIR and build
>     dir but can share DL_DIR.
>

> You can always share DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR.
>
> Ross

When you have the same machine, and the recipes have variants
which are DISTRO dependent the SSTATE_DIR can be messed up

We never digged deep enough to find the cause,
but when we separated the SSTATE to only have one DISTRO
in the same SSTATE, the problem disappeared.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

* Re: Multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs: When to use own build dir, SSTATE_DIR, DL_DIR ?
@ 2019-06-10  9:13     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-06-10  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 at 23:19, Ulf Samuelsson <yocto@emagii.com> wrote:
> When you have the same machine, and the recipes have variants
> which are DISTRO dependent the SSTATE_DIR can be messed up
>
> We never digged deep enough to find the cause,
> but when we separated the SSTATE to only have one DISTRO
> in the same SSTATE, the problem disappeared.

The recipes were actively broken then, because DISTRO is in the hash.
If the DISTRO changes, the hash changes.

Ross

* Re: Multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs: When to use own build dir, SSTATE_DIR, DL_DIR ?
@ 2019-06-10 11:41     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2019-06-10 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Samuelsson, yocto

On Mon, 2019-06-10 at 00:11 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Den 2019-05-09 kl. 11:56, skrev Burton, Ross:
> > On Thu, 9 May 2019 at 10:47, Fabian Knapp <knapp@ambibox.de
> > <mailto:knapp@ambibox.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     we have multiple MACHINEs and DISTROs and Im wondering for
> > which
> >     combinations I have to setup a dedicated build dir, SSTATE_DIR
> > and
> >     DL_DIR.
> >
> >     Information in the form of:
> >
> >     Each (change of) MACHINE needs its dedicated SSTATE_DIR and
> > build
> >     dir but can share DL_DIR.
> >

> > You can always share DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> When you have the same machine, and the recipes have variants
> which are DISTRO dependent the SSTATE_DIR can be messed up
>
> We never digged deep enough to find the cause,
> but when we separated the SSTATE to only have one DISTRO
> in the same SSTATE, the problem disappeared.

The system is designed to work sharing DISTROs within sstate. If there
is a problem I would very much like to see the issue investigated and
fixed and can help with that.

Any such problems that have been filed in the bugzilla have been
addressed and there haven't really need any for quite a while.

Cheers,

Richard