* SATA port multiplier support in 2.6.21
@ 2009-07-21  2:38 Learner Study
From: Learner Study @ 2009-07-21  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Hello:

I understand that SATA port multiplier support was added in 2.6.24.
I would like to use 2.6.21 and still use port multilplier. Can someone point
me to a patch I may use to do this? Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

* Re: SATA port multiplier support in 2.6.21
@ 2009-07-21  2:50 ` Jim Paris
From: Jim Paris @ 2009-07-21  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Learner Study; +Cc: linux-ide

Learner Study wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I understand that SATA port multiplier support was added in 2.6.24.
> I would like to use 2.6.21 and still use port multilplier. Can someone point
> me to a patch I may use to do this? Any other ideas?

There were patches from Tejun (libata-tj-stable) for 2.6.18 and 2.6.22
at one point, but I don't know where you'd find them anymore (the
original site at http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable
is down).  You may have some luck googling around for those.

2.6.21 is over two years old, so your best bet would be to upgrade to
a more recent version, or, if you're stuck with some distribution
kernel, talk to your vendor for support.

-jim

* Re: SATA port multiplier support in 2.6.21
@ 2009-07-23 11:53   ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2009-07-23 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Paris; +Cc: Learner Study, linux-ide

Jim Paris wrote:
> Learner Study wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I understand that SATA port multiplier support was added in 2.6.24.
>> I would like to use 2.6.21 and still use port multilplier. Can someone point
>> me to a patch I may use to do this? Any other ideas?
>
> There were patches from Tejun (libata-tj-stable) for 2.6.18 and 2.6.22
> at one point, but I don't know where you'd find them anymore (the
> original site at http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable
> is down).  You may have some luck googling around for those.

Here are old patches.

  http://htj.dyndns.org/export/libata-tj-old/

> 2.6.21 is over two years old, so your best bet would be to upgrade to
> a more recent version, or, if you're stuck with some distribution
> kernel, talk to your vendor for support.

But, yeah, seriously, if at all possible, please use newer kernels.
There have been a lot of updates.

Thanks.

--
tejun

* Re: SATA port multiplier support in 2.6.21
@ 2009-09-15  1:47     ` Learner Study
From: Learner Study @ 2009-09-15  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tejun Heo; +Cc: Jim Paris, linux-ide

Hi Tejun:

I tried the following link but am getting HTTP 403 error!

I would appreciate if you could please point me to patch for port
multiplier back ported to 2.6.21?

Thanks a lot!

@ 2009-09-15  7:28       ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2009-09-15  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Learner Study; +Cc: Jim Paris, linux-ide

Learner Study wrote:
> I tried the following link but am getting HTTP 403 error!

It works fine here.  Can you please try again?

  http://htj.dyndns.org/export/libata-tj-old/

> I would appreciate if you could please point me to patch for port
> multiplier back ported to 2.6.21?

Eh... I seem to have patches for 17, 18, 22 and 23 but unforunately
not for 21.

--
tejun

* Re: SATA port multiplier support in 2.6.21
@ 2009-09-15 12:08         ` Learner Study
From: Learner Study @ 2009-09-15 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tejun Heo; +Cc: linux-ide

The link is working fine now. Thanks!

If I were to pick one, which one should I try first on 21? 18 or 22?

thanks!

@ 2009-09-15 17:35           ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2009-09-15 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Learner Study; +Cc: linux-ide

Learner Study wrote:
> The link is working fine now. Thanks!
>
> If I were to pick one, which one should I try first on 21? 18 or 22?

I really can't recommend any of those.  They're all with many known
bugs and if you encounter one there, you'll be on your own.

--
tejun