* git commit -S documentation
@ 2012-05-08 22:12 Geoffroy PLANQUART
From: Geoffroy PLANQUART @ 2012-05-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I recently discovered the git commit -S option, but I can't find any documentation about it. I've search the local manpages (both archlinux & mac) and the website before posting.

Are there any information about it, and the way it can be configured and used?
I'd like more information on it and then perhaps make it automatic (without an alias if possible) if it's possible to check the signature in the log or somewhere.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,

Geoffroy

* Re: git commit -S documentation
@ 2012-05-08 23:49 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-05-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffroy PLANQUART; +Cc: git

Geoffroy PLANQUART <geoffroy@planquart.fr> writes:

> I recently discovered the git commit -S option, but I can't find any
> documentation about it.

It was done as a bonus checkbox feature while the more important "merge
signed tag" feature was implemented, as the changes needed for the latter
had to touch codepaths that needed to be touched to implement the former,
so I am not surprised if it is underdocumented ;-)

Output from "git log ^4a3a1ed 5de89d3a", especially the log message for
ba3c69a (commit: teach --gpg-sign option, 2011-10-05), would be a good
place to start writing new materials to add to the documentation, but at
the end-user level the only two options that matter would be --gpg-sign
given to "git commit", and "--show-signature" given to "git log" family of
commands.

Thanks.