* Problem in our test setup
@ 2007-11-15  6:24 Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2007-11-15  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I just realised that our test setup has a serious problem.  In my
semi-private builtin-commit branch, there is no runstatus anymore.  Now,
I got a new toy yesterday, and installed git on it (my fork, including
builtin-commit), and all of a sudden tests were failing.

The failing tests were t3001 and t4001, because they call runstatus, and
runstatus is no longer there in the builtin-commit branch.

So why did I not catch this earlier?

Because my prefix is the default prefix, which is $HOME/bin, and which is
not turned off in the tests.  So git finds "runstatus", because it is
still installed.

Now, things get worse if you install to /usr/bin/, which I do sometimes,
too, because you _cannot_ remove that from the PATH.

Okay, so removing a command is not all that common, but that means that we
have to be extra careful when we do so.

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Problem in our test setup
@ 2007-11-15  7:11 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2007-11-15  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:

> Because my prefix is the default prefix, which is $HOME/bin, and which is
> not turned off in the tests.  So git finds "runstatus", because it is
> still installed.

Yes, we have a problem.

We could solve this for commands issued in "git foo" form by not
looking for "git-foo" anywhere other than in git_exec_path.  The
scripts and tests only prepend GIT_EXEC_PATH to their PATH and
run "git foo" or "git-foo", but if we replace all of them to the
non-dash form, wouldn't that solve the issue as well?

* Re: Problem in our test setup
@ 2007-11-15 11:40   ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2007-11-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Because my prefix is the default prefix, which is $HOME/bin, and which
> > is not turned off in the tests.  So git finds "runstatus", because it
> > is still installed.
>
> Yes, we have a problem.
>
> We could solve this for commands issued in "git foo" form by not looking
> for "git-foo" anywhere other than in git_exec_path.  The scripts and
> tests only prepend GIT_EXEC_PATH to their PATH and run "git foo" or
> "git-foo", but if we replace all of them to the non-dash form, wouldn't
> that solve the issue as well?

Funnily enough, it _is_ the non-dash form that I replaced.  What happens
is this: the git wrapper looks for a builtin named 'runstatus', does not
find it, then calls out for something like 'git-runstatus', which is found
in my $HOME/bin.

Sorry,
Dscho

* Re: Problem in our test setup
@ 2007-11-15 17:30     ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2007-11-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de> writes:

> Funnily enough, it _is_ the non-dash form that I replaced.  What happens
> is this: the git wrapper looks for a builtin named 'runstatus', does not
> find it, then calls out for something like 'git-runstatus', which is found
> in my $HOME/bin.

Yes, but at that point we know we are looking for "git"
subcommand not general command on PATH, so we can only look for
"git-runstatus" in the git_exec_path (initialized by $GIT_EXEC_PATH
or compiled-in) and correctly fail during the test.