* FW: question about merge in 1.7.10
@ 2012-02-24 14:33 Marlene Cote
From: Marlene Cote @ 2012-02-24 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I used merge with -no-commit -no-ff.  So, I assume I won't see any change in behavior, since merge is not performing commits, right?

------------------
Regards,
Marlene Cote, Release Engineering
978-268-0821

* Re: FW: question about merge in 1.7.10
@ 2012-02-24 19:29 ` Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
From: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek @ 2012-02-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marlene Cote; +Cc: git

On 02/24/2012 03:33 PM, Marlene Cote wrote:

> I used merge with -no-commit -no-ff.  So, I assume I won't see any change in behavior, since merge is not performing commits, right?
Hi Marlene,
--no-commit only stops the last step, i.e. making of the commit. The
tree (working files) is changed before that. So basically after a merge
with --no-commit, your tree will be dirty and git status will show
modified files.

zbyszek

* RE: FW: question about merge in 1.7.10
@ 2012-02-24 19:33   ` Marlene Cote
From: Marlene Cote @ 2012-02-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek; +Cc: git

I know that the tree will be dirty.  The change to git in 1.7.10 says that the merge will require a commit message when the command is run.  Since I am not committing, I need to supply a message, but only later when I commit.  Not when I execute the merge command.  This means my scripts don't have to change.

@ 2012-02-24 20:00 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-02-24 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marlene Cote; +Cc: git

Marlene Cote <Marlene_Cote@affirmednetworks.com> writes:

> I used merge with -no-commit -no-ff. So, I assume I won't see any
> change in behavior, since merge is not performing commits, right?

The _only_ difference is when

 (1) "git merge" is run interactively;
 (2) the merge goes cleanly that it does not need to ask help from the
     user to resolve conflicts; and
 (3) it records the result by creating a commit.

Because your use case with "--no-commit" does not satisfy the last
criteria, I do not expect you to see any difference.  Otherwise you may
have found a bug.

As noted in

    http://git-blame.blogspot.com/2012/02/anticipating-git-1710.html

please try out the version from the 'master' branch before it gets
released, so that you can help us avoid surprises in the corner cases.

Thanks.

* Re: FW: question about merge in 1.7.10
@ 2012-02-24 21:22     ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-02-24 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marlene Cote; +Cc: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek, git

Marlene Cote <Marlene_Cote@affirmednetworks.com> writes:

> I know that the tree will be dirty.  The change to git in 1.7.10 says
> that the merge will require a commit message when the command is run.

I do not think I ever said that.

	"merge" will always start an editor when it auto-commits

is what I said.

Could you point me where you read that "will require a commit message", so
that it can be corrected?

* RE: FW: question about merge in 1.7.10
@ 2012-02-24 21:24       ` Marlene Cote
From: Marlene Cote @ 2012-02-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek, git

Sorry.  You are correct.  You said it would open an editor session.

@ 2012-02-24 21:55         ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-02-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marlene Cote; +Cc: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek, git

Marlene Cote <Marlene_Cote@affirmednetworks.com> writes:

> Sorry.  You are correct.  You said it would open an editor session.

Whew.  I was really worried that we may be sending a wrong message and
making users needlessly afraid of changes.

Thanks for a prompt response.