* transient build error after 'Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json'
@ 2013-04-01 16:38 Phil Hord
From: Phil Hord @ 2013-04-01 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I have not seen this before, which makes me think it is something new
in the makefiles.  But maybe it was a one-time fluke. When I ran
'make' again, it proceeded as normal.

My previous build was on pre-rebase 'next' at c1ece63.  I did not try
a 'make clean' in between, but I have since.  I tried to reproduce it
and I cannot.  I am building on Ubuntu 12.04.

I do not see any significant differences in the Makefile between my
last build point and this one.

Is this expected or easily explained?

$ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
    GEN git-add--interactive
Writing perl.mak for Git
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
make[2]: *** [perl.mak] Error 1
make[1]: *** [instlibdir] Error 2
make: *** [git-add--interactive] Error 2
$ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
    GEN perl/PM.stamp
    SUBDIR perl
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX='/home/hordp' INSTALL_BASE=''
--localedir='/home/hordp/share/locale'
Writing perl.mak for Git
Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
    GEN git-add--interactive
    GEN git-difftool
    GEN git-archimport

Phil

* Re: transient build error after 'Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json'
@ 2013-04-01 17:28 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2013-04-01 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Hord; +Cc: git

Phil Hord <phil.hord@gmail.com> writes:

> I have not seen this before, which makes me think it is something new
> in the makefiles.  But maybe it was a one-time fluke. When I ran
> 'make' again, it proceeded as normal.
> $ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
>     GEN git-add--interactive
> Writing perl.mak for Git
> Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> make[2]: *** [perl.mak] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [instlibdir] Error 2
> make: *** [git-add--interactive] Error 2
> $ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
>     GEN perl/PM.stamp
>     SUBDIR perl
> /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX='/home/hordp' INSTALL_BASE=''
> --localedir='/home/hordp/share/locale'
> Writing perl.mak for Git
> Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
>     GEN git-add--interactive
>     GEN git-difftool
>     GEN git-archimport

I've also seen build failure with -j<something> in perl/
subdirectory from time to time, but the failure has been fairly
elusive for me that I haven't had a chance to look into what
triggers it.

* Re: transient build error after 'Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json'
@ 2013-04-02  5:22   ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2013-04-02  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Phil Hord, git

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 10:28:04AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Phil Hord <phil.hord@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have not seen this before, which makes me think it is something new
> > in the makefiles.  But maybe it was a one-time fluke. When I ran
> > 'make' again, it proceeded as normal.
> > $ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
> >     GEN git-add--interactive
> > Writing perl.mak for Git
> > Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> > make[2]: *** [perl.mak] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [instlibdir] Error 2
> > make: *** [git-add--interactive] Error 2
> > $ make prefix=/home/hordp all doc man
> >     GEN perl/PM.stamp
> >     SUBDIR perl
> > /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX='/home/hordp' INSTALL_BASE=''
> > --localedir='/home/hordp/share/locale'
> > Writing perl.mak for Git
> > Writing MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> >     GEN git-add--interactive
> >     GEN git-difftool
> >     GEN git-archimport
>
> I've also seen build failure with -j<something> in perl/
> subdirectory from time to time, but the failure has been fairly
> elusive for me that I haven't had a chance to look into what
> triggers it.

The one I have seen usually involves errors around "perl.mak"; this
might be a new form of it, or it might be different.

Previous analysis and a patch (which I have no idea if it helps or not,
as I can't reproduce the problem at will):

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/158251

-Peff