* `git mv` has ambiguous error message for non-existing target
@ 2012-11-15 18:54 Patrick Lehner
From: Patrick Lehner @ 2012-11-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hey guys,

as was brought up on #github today, the "git mv" command has a bit of a
little-helping output message when the target directory (or any
intermediate directories) dont exist.

To reproduce:
- cd into a git repo
- assuming "filea.txt" is an existing file in the CWD, and "dirb" is
neither a file nor a directory in the CWD, use the command "git mv
filea.txt dirb/filea.txt"
- this will produce an error message like `fatal: renaming 'filea.sh'
failed: No such file or directory`

It does not mention that the problem is, in fact, the target directory
not existing. This seems to be mostly a problem for users unfamiliar
with bash/*nix console commands. Although it is documented that git mv
will not create intermediate folders (which is fine, because neither
does mv), the error message might lead to believe a problem exists with
the source file.

Expanding the error message to "No such file or directory: 'dirb/' "
would probably clear this up.

Best regards and thanks to anyone who could improve this,
Patrick

* Re: `git mv` has ambiguous error message for non-existing target
@ 2012-11-16  1:34 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-11-16  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Lehner; +Cc: git

Patrick Lehner <lehner.patrick@gmx.de> writes:

> To reproduce:
> - cd into a git repo
> - assuming "filea.txt" is an existing file in the CWD, and "dirb" is
> neither a file nor a directory in the CWD, use the command "git mv
> filea.txt dirb/filea.txt"
> - this will produce an error message like `fatal: renaming 'filea.sh'
> failed: No such file or directory`
>
> It does not mention that the problem is, in fact, the target directory
> not existing. This seems to be mostly a problem for users unfamiliar
> with bash/*nix console commands. Although it is documented that git mv
> will not create intermediate folders (which is fine, because neither
> does mv), the error message might lead to believe a problem exists
> with the source file.

    $ rm -fr xxx
    $ >yyy
    $ mv yyy xxx/yyy
    mv: cannot move `yyy' to `xxx/yyy': No such file or directory

It doesn't mention that the problem is with 'xxx' and not 'yyy'
either.

* Re: `git mv` has ambiguous error message for non-existing target
@ 2012-11-16  7:10   ` Patrick Lehner
From: Patrick Lehner @ 2012-11-16  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

But just because mv's error essage isnt very good, does that mean git
mv's error message mustn't be better? That would strike me as an odd
bit of reasoning.

@ 2012-11-17 19:35     ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-11-17 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Lehner; +Cc: git

Patrick Lehner <lehner.patrick@gmx.de> writes:

> But just because mv's error essage isnt very good, does that mean git
> mv's error message mustn't be better?

Did I say the error message from 'mv' was not very good in the
message you are responding to (by the way, this is why you should
never top-post when you are responding to a message on this list)?

I meant to say that the message from 'mv' is good enough, so is the
one given by 'git mv'.

I wouldn't reject a patch that updates our message to something more
informative without looking at it, though.

* Re: `git mv` has ambiguous error message for non-existing target
@ 2012-11-19 21:07       ` Patrick Lehner
From: Patrick Lehner @ 2012-11-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

On Sa 17 Nov 2012 20:35:09 CET, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Lehner <lehner.patrick@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> But just because mv's error essage isnt very good, does that mean git
>> mv's error message mustn't be better?
>
> Did I say the error message from 'mv' was not very good in the
> message you are responding to (by the way, this is why you should
> never top-post when you are responding to a message on this list)?
>
> I meant to say that the message from 'mv' is good enough, so is the
> one given by 'git mv'.
>
> I wouldn't reject a patch that updates our message to something more
> informative without looking at it, though.

I apologize for top-posting -- I don't usually use mailing lists and am
not aware of the usual netiquette.

And yes, I did interpret a bit more into your reply than was there.

I wouldn't call the 'mv' error message "good enough" in this case, but
very well, opinions may very well differ. Unfortunately, I have no time
to get into the git code and contribution guidelines, so I cannot
submit a patch myself. I would appreciate if someone else who shares my
sentiment and knows their way around the git source a bit could find
the time to add this :)

Regards,
Patrick