* Is the textconv filter called for each line ? or once for the file ?
@ 2012-06-20 10:57 Laurent Alebarde
From: Laurent Alebarde @ 2012-06-20 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi all,

Something I need clarification please :

In the documentation on gitattributes, it is said :

"A textconv, by comparison, is much more limiting. You provide a transformation
of the data into a line-oriented text format, and git uses its regular diff
tools to generate the output."

Does it mean that the textconv filter is called for each line ? The opposite
being called once for the whole file.

Regards,

Laurent.

* Re: Is the textconv filter called for each line ? or once for the file ?
@ 2012-06-20 12:17 ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2012-06-20 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Alebarde; +Cc: git

Laurent Alebarde <l.alebarde@free.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Something I need clarification please :
>
> In the documentation on gitattributes, it is said :
>
> "A textconv, by comparison, is much more limiting. You provide a transformation
> of the data into a line-oriented text format, and git uses its regular diff
> tools to generate the output."
>
> Does it mean that the textconv filter is called for each line ?

No. What would "for each line" mean, since textconv is essentially meant
to be called on binary files?

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/

* Re: Is the textconv filter called for each line ? or once for the file ?
@ 2012-06-20 18:35   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-06-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy; +Cc: Laurent Alebarde, git

Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy@grenoble-inp.fr> writes:

> Laurent Alebarde <l.alebarde@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Something I need clarification please :
>>
>> In the documentation on gitattributes, it is said :
>>
>> "A textconv, by comparison, is much more limiting. You provide a transformation
>> of the data into a line-oriented text format, and git uses its regular diff
>> tools to generate the output."
>>
>> Does it mean that the textconv filter is called for each line ?
>
> No. What would "for each line" mean, since textconv is essentially meant
> to be called on binary files?

I think the key phrase Laurent has missed is "*into* a line-oriented
text format".  The input may or may not be line-oriented.  The
output is expected to be.