* mailmap causing checkpatch warnings
@ 2022-12-24 11:05 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2022-12-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.richardson, david.marchand; +Cc: konstantin.ananyev, thomas, dev

Bruce, David,

I just submitted a patch with an Acked-by from Konstantin, using his current (Huawei) email address, and it triggered the following checkpatch warning:
Konstantin Ananyev mail differs from primary mail, please fix the commit message or update .mailmap.

Some people have more than one active email address, so this checkpatch behavior is wrong.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
-Morten Brørup

* Re: mailmap causing checkpatch warnings
@ 2022-12-27 10:15 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2022-12-27 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup, konstantin.ananyev
  Cc: bruce.richardson, david.marchand, dev

24/12/2022 12:05, Morten Brørup:
> Bruce, David,
>
> I just submitted a patch with an Acked-by from Konstantin, using his current (Huawei) email address, and it triggered the following checkpatch warning:
> Konstantin Ananyev mail differs from primary mail, please fix the commit message or update .mailmap.

Do you know how to accept all emails of .mailmap?

> Some people have more than one active email address, so this checkpatch behavior is wrong.

Konstantin, what is your main email address?

* RE: mailmap causing checkpatch warnings
@ 2022-12-27 11:15   ` Morten Brørup
> > I just submitted a patch with an Acked-by from Konstantin, using his
> current (Huawei) email address, and it triggered the following
> checkpatch warning:
> > Konstantin Ananyev mail differs from primary mail, please fix the
> commit message or update .mailmap.
>
> Do you know how to accept all emails of .mailmap?

It looks like the warning stems from the check_names() function in checkpatches.sh [1].

[1]: http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/tree/devtools/checkpatches.sh

BASH is not my strong side, so I would rather let someone else change it.

> > Some people have more than one active email address, so this
> checkpatch behavior is wrong.

I might be wrong here - perhaps we do want to accept only one primary email address in the patch references to contributors, like today, instead of all active email addresses of contributors, as I propose.

Accepting only one adds more "paperwork" (updating the mailmap) when contributors get a new primary email address. And causes false warnings, like here, until the mailmap has been updated.

I am not maintaining the mailmap file, so have no strong preference; but false warnings are annoying, and accepting the alternative email addresses would prevent them. Hmmm... my proposal is not a perfect solution: If a contributor gets a brand new email address, it still needs to be added to the mailmap file.

Also, reading up on mailmap, it is also used by "git shortlog -se" to emit the primary email addresses. But in the worst case, if the mailmap is not updated, it will emit an old email address.

@ 2023-01-04 11:45   ` Konstantin Ananyev
From: Konstantin Ananyev @ 2023-01-04 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Morten Brørup; +Cc: bruce.richardson, david.marchand, dev

> 24/12/2022 12:05, Morten Brørup:
> > Bruce, David,
> >
> > I just submitted a patch with an Acked-by from Konstantin, using his current (Huawei) email address, and it triggered the following
> checkpatch warning:
> > Konstantin Ananyev mail differs from primary mail, please fix the commit message or update .mailmap.
>
> Do you know how to accept all emails of .mailmap?
>
> > Some people have more than one active email address, so this checkpatch behavior is wrong.
>
> Konstantin, what is your main email address?

I use both, but if that's a problem for one of our tools,
I can stick with ACK-ing all patches using just one of them.
Would that help?
Konstantin

* Re: mailmap causing checkpatch warnings
@ 2023-01-05  8:46     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2023-01-05  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup, Konstantin Ananyev
  Cc: bruce.richardson, david.marchand, dev

04/01/2023 12:45, Konstantin Ananyev:

> > 24/12/2022 12:05, Morten Brørup:
> > > Bruce, David,
> > >
> > > I just submitted a patch with an Acked-by from Konstantin, using his current (Huawei) email address, and it triggered the following
> > checkpatch warning:
> > > Konstantin Ananyev mail differs from primary mail, please fix the commit message or update .mailmap.
> >
> > Do you know how to accept all emails of .mailmap?
> >
> > > Some people have more than one active email address, so this checkpatch behavior is wrong.
> >
> > Konstantin, what is your main email address?
>

> I use both, but if that's a problem for one of our tools,
> I can stick with ACK-ing all patches using just one of them.
> Would that help?

Yes it would help in this case, but perhaps the tool should be fixed.