* [OpenRISC] FPU licensing request
@ 2021-11-28  3:25 Julius Baxter
From: Julius Baxter @ 2021-11-28  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi Jidan,

I'm getting in touch because I want to ask your permission to
relicense some of your FPU code.

I ported your VHDL FPU design to Verilog many years ago (2010 I think)
and it's since been included in the mor1kx OpenRISC CPU project by
Andrey Bacherov (CC'ed).

Example: https://github.com/openrisc/mor1kx/blob/master/rtl/verilog/pfpu32/pfpu32_addsub.v

It's currently got what looks like a permissive licence (as you can
see in the link above) but I would like to ask if we can relicense the
code under the CERN OHL V2 weakly permissive licence.

In summary, this licence is a file-level copyright for hardware
designs. The FAQ on CERN's site about the OHL is great for explaning
what the OHL v2 is what the W variant means:
https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes

This would only apply to this copy of the source. It does not affect
the other copies which are out there on the internet. I only ask this
for consistency across the mor1kx CPU project.

Your permission to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Cheers,
Julius

* [OpenRISC] FPU licensing request
@ 2021-11-28  3:39 ` Julius Baxter
From: Julius Baxter @ 2021-11-28  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 14:25, Julius Baxter <juliusbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jidan,
>
> I'm getting in touch because I want to ask your permission to
> relicense some of your FPU code.
>
> I ported your VHDL FPU design to Verilog many years ago (2010 I think)
> and it's since been included in the mor1kx OpenRISC CPU project by
> Andrey Bacherov (CC'ed).
>
> Example: https://github.com/openrisc/mor1kx/blob/master/rtl/verilog/pfpu32/pfpu32_addsub.v
>
> It's currently got what looks like a permissive licence (as you can
> see in the link above) but I would like to ask if we can relicense the
> code under the CERN OHL V2 weakly permissive licence.

Correction: relicense the code under the CERN OHL v2 weakly
_reciprocal_ licence.

@ 2021-11-28 14:46   ` Jidan Al-Eryani
From: Jidan Al-Eryani @ 2021-11-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi Julius,

I don't think you need my permission for this, but thanks anyway for
asking. Please do as you wish.
It's amazing how >10 years pass so fast...

Wish you all the best and take care!
Jidan

@ 2021-11-28 21:54     ` Julius Baxter
From: Julius Baxter @ 2021-11-28 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 01:46, Jidan Al-Eryani <jidan@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Julius,
>
> I don't think you need my permission for this, but thanks anyway for
> asking. Please do as you wish.
> It's amazing how >10 years pass so fast...
>
> Wish you all the best and take care!
> Jidan

That's appreciated Jidan, thanks very much.

Agreed, time flies huh?

Cheers,
Julius

@ 2022-03-28 11:35       ` Andrey Bacherov
From: Andrey Bacherov @ 2022-03-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 01:46, Jidan Al-Eryani <jidan@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julius,
>>
>> I don't think you need my permission for this, but thanks anyway for
>> asking. Please do as you wish.
>> It's amazing how >10 years pass so fast...
>>
>> Wish you all the best and take care!
>> Jidan
>
> That's appreciated Jidan, thanks very much.
>
> Agreed, time flies huh?
>
> Cheers,
> Julius

Hello All.

1) All mor1kx contributors agreed with the license changing.
2) MAROCCHINO is complete rewrite of CAPPUCCINO

As I understand correctly there isn't an objection to changing the
license for MAROCCHINO sources. Am I right? I'm going to do this if so.

WBR,
Andrey