* switching upstream tips
@ 2009-05-13  6:42 Ittay Dror
From: Ittay Dror @ 2009-05-13  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm working on a repository in github that is forked from another
repository. I've committed several times and pulled (merged) from the
upstream a few times (so the committs are interleaved). The upstream
repository is a clone of an SVN repository (in apache). The project has
switched svn repositories (moved from incubation to top level project)
and so created a new repository in github.

Now I want to start working with the new upstream repository. My problem
is that because of the changes in the backing SVN, the objects are
completely new, so when i try 'git pull new-upstream master', I get a
lot of add/add conflicts. Most of the conflicts show the whole file has
changed while actually just a few lines differ. So I'm having trouble
making sense of the mess.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to do the following:

* Reorder my history so that my commits are on top of the tip of the old
upstream repository.

* Change the upstream repository reference so it points to the new
repository

* Apply my commits on top of the new upstream repository

Of course any other alternative which will allow me to continue to work
with the new upstream is also welcome.

Thank you,

Ittay