* [ANNOUNCE] Scumd
@ 2009-08-12 18:28 Michael Gaffney
From: Michael Gaffney @ 2009-08-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Greetings,
    This is an initial announcement of SCuMD, a pure java git sshd
daemon. The source is at git://github.com/gaffo/scumd. The impetus
behind SCuMD is to provide a highly configurable git daemon which can
authenticate and authorize off of flat files, databases, LDAP, web
services, or any other resource you can think of. SCuMD's other goal is
to remove the need to serve off of normal sshd which some find to be a
security risk on the open Internet. Currently SCuMD supports LDAP as the
authentication module but coding other modules is quite simple.
    I would welcome any feedback including a better name. SCuMD stands
for SCM Daemon.

Thanks,
    Mike Gaffney

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Scumd
@ 2009-08-12 20:26 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2009-08-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gaffney; +Cc: git

Michael Gaffney <mr.gaffo@gmail.com> writes:

>     This is an initial announcement of SCuMD, a pure java git sshd
> daemon. The source is at git://github.com/gaffo/scumd. The impetus
> behind SCuMD is to provide a highly configurable git daemon which can
> authenticate and authorize off of flat files, databases, LDAP, web
> services, or any other resource you can think of. SCuMD's other goal
> is to remove the need to serve off of normal sshd which some find to
> be a security risk on the open Internet. Currently SCuMD supports LDAP
> as the authentication module but coding other modules is quite simple.
>
>     I would welcome any feedback including a better name. SCuMD stands
> for SCM Daemon.

Could you add information about this tool to Git Wiki:
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools
perhaps below entry for gitosis?

TIA
--
Jakub Narebski

Git User's Survey 2009
http://tinyurl.com/GitSurvey2009

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Scumd
@ 2009-08-12 20:56   ` Michael Gaffney
From: Michael Gaffney @ 2009-08-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Done, thanks.

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> Michael Gaffney <mr.gaffo@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>     This is an initial announcement of SCuMD, a pure java git sshd
>> daemon. The source is at git://github.com/gaffo/scumd. The impetus
>> behind SCuMD is to provide a highly configurable git daemon which can
>> authenticate and authorize off of flat files, databases, LDAP, web
>> services, or any other resource you can think of. SCuMD's other goal
>> is to remove the need to serve off of normal sshd which some find to
>> be a security risk on the open Internet. Currently SCuMD supports LDAP
>> as the authentication module but coding other modules is quite simple.
>>
>>     I would welcome any feedback including a better name. SCuMD stands
>> for SCM Daemon.
>>

> Could you add information about this tool to Git Wiki:
> http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools
> perhaps below entry for gitosis?
>
> TIA

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Scumd
@ 2009-08-12 21:10 ` Alex Riesen
From: Alex Riesen @ 2009-08-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gaffney; +Cc: git

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 20:28, Michael Gaffney<mr.gaffo@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... SCuMD's other goal is to remove the need to serve
> off of normal sshd which some find to be a security risk on the open
> Internet. ...

I just wonder: how is your creation less of security risk than sshd?