* [GMA500/CDV] HDMI AVI infoframe code
@ 2013-11-11  5:57 Gohad, Tushar
From: Gohad, Tushar @ 2013-11-11  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Folks,

When trying to get the GMA500 or the CDV DRM driver https://github.com/thomas001/cedarview-drm (w/ 3.8 Linux kernel) pass HDMI compliance, we are seeing failures of the nature:

 "Verify that an AVI InfoFrame is transmitted on every two video fields.
  Error : No Legal AVI InfoFrame exists on two video fields."

Apparently, "avi_*_info_t" structures are defined in https://github.com/thomas001/cedarview-drm/blob/master/staging/cdv/drv/psb_intel_hdmi.h the header but are never used.

In https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/gma500/psb_intel_sdvo.c, I do see psb_intel_sdvo_set_avi_infoframe(), but appears to be really old based on the comment that says "HDMI is not supported yet".   Can any of the gma500/i915 code be reused for CDV infoframe code?  Has anyone already done this is what I am trying to find out.

Many thanks,
Tushar

* Re: [GMA500/CDV] HDMI AVI infoframe code
@ 2013-11-11 12:43 ` Patrik Jakobsson
From: Patrik Jakobsson @ 2013-11-11 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gohad, Tushar; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Gohad, Tushar <tushar.gohad@intel.com> wrote:
> Folks,

Hi

>From what I've seen there are no real HDMI connectors on either Poulsbo or
Cedarview. It's just DVI with HDMI connectors. Though you might know of other
hardware that I don't.

SDVO_CMD_GET_SUPP_ENCODE always fails on my SDVO chips so maybe that can be
pulled out of the gma500 driver entirely. Or it can stay and be fixed
if hardware exists.

Cheers
Patrik

@ 2013-11-11 15:21   ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2013-11-11 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrik Jakobsson; +Cc: Gohad, Tushar, intel-gfx

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Patrik Jakobsson
<patrik.r.jakobsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I've seen there are no real HDMI connectors on either Poulsbo or
> Cedarview. It's just DVI with HDMI connectors. Though you might know of other
> hardware that I don't.
>
> SDVO_CMD_GET_SUPP_ENCODE always fails on my SDVO chips so maybe that can be
> pulled out of the gma500 driver entirely. Or it can stay and be fixed
> if hardware exists.

You need special hdmi sdvo encoders - all the hdmi features are
optional and have been added in an update hdmi over sdvo spec. Note
that the sdvo hdmi code in i915 isn't too massively spec compliant
either since we fail to update the eld and a few related things.
Otherwise I'd have suggested to copypaste that ;-)
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

* Re: [GMA500/CDV] HDMI AVI infoframe code
@ 2013-11-11 16:18     ` Gohad, Tushar
From: Gohad, Tushar @ 2013-11-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Patrik Jakobsson
  Cc: intel-gfx, Anuj Mittal (Mittal_Anuj@hcl.com) (Mittal_Anuj@hcl.com)

Thanks Patrik and Daniel.  Since one of the customers was able to get the Windows driver pass HDMI compliance, the hardware should be okay (or was worked around :-)).   We'll try to port the i915 intel_hdmi.c code over to CDV.

- Tushar