* [Buildroot] Chromium
@ 2018-04-23 11:15 Michał Kalbarczyk
From: Michał Kalbarczyk @ 2018-04-23 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Is there any chance to build chromium in build root environment? Found few old makefiles, but nothing actually works. Is this possible?

Thank you for help.

Best regards,
Micha?

* [Buildroot] Chromium
@ 2018-04-23 19:25 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-04-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:15:36 +0200, Micha? Kalbarczyk wrote:

> Is there any chance to build chromium in build root environment?
> Found few old makefiles, but nothing actually works. Is this
> possible?

Yes, I believe it is possible, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Now,
Chromium is clearly not the easiest software to build, and therefore to
package in Buildroot.

So doable: yes, easy: definitely no.

In any case, we're interested in having patches submitted to Buildroot
to add such a package.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Chromium
@ 2018-04-24 12:01   ` Michał Kalbarczyk
From: Michał Kalbarczyk @ 2018-04-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks for the reply,

How should I start?

These are steps to build chromium:

* Checkout https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git>
* make it in path
* run fetch --no-history --nohooks chromium
* will download sources
* cd src
* run gclient runhooks
* run gn gen out/Default
* run ninja -C out/Default -o chromium

Best regards,
Micha?

> On 23 Apr 2018, at 21:25, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:15:36 +0200, Micha? Kalbarczyk wrote:
>
>> Is there any chance to build chromium in build root environment?
>> Found few old makefiles, but nothing actually works. Is this
>> possible?
>
> Yes, I believe it is possible, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Now,
> Chromium is clearly not the easiest software to build, and therefore to
> package in Buildroot.
>
> So doable: yes, easy: definitely no.
>
> In any case, we're interested in having patches submitted to Buildroot
> to add such a package.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
> Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
> https://bootlin.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Chromium
@ 2018-04-25  1:51     ` Joseph Kogut
From: Joseph Kogut @ 2018-04-25  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Micha?,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 5:01 AM, Micha? Kalbarczyk
<michal@gamecodehq.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> How should I start?

The manual is as good a place as any. Chapter 17 details adding new
packages to Buildroot:
https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#adding-packages

You'll need to figure out what toolchain requirements Chromium has, as
well as build dependencies.

Chromium has quite a few compile-time options, and quite a few
dependencies for "desktop Linux" (GN arg 'is_desktop_linux'),
including dbus, glib2, gio, gtk2/3, X11, cups, and more.

It might not be a bad idea to start with a ChromeOS build (GN arg
target_os="chromeos") to disable a lot of these optional dependencies.

A feature complete package may also allow the user to select the
features they want from Kconfig, which would select the dependencies
for a given feature when enabled. See the the Buildroot packages
'mesa3d' and 'x11r7' for examples.

To see the available build options for Chromium, run:
    gn args --list out/Default

This will give you an idea of what can be toggled, and what's
necessary for the build.

Best,
Joseph