* [SPDK] Analysis of SPDK-originated patches to DPDK fork spdk-18.08
@ 2019-03-05 21:16 Lance Hartmann ORACLE
From: Lance Hartmann ORACLE @ 2019-03-05 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

I've put together a spreadsheet (attached) and a PDF as well for folks who'd rather not open Excel attachments.

The point of this exercise was to identify the SPDK-originated patches to the SPDK's fork of the DPDK (branch spdk-18.08), and then attempt to determine whether:

	• they had been accepted in upstream DPDK 18.11
	• they were cherry-pick'd forward to SPDK's fork of DPDK (branch spdk-18.11)
	• they've appeared in upstream DPDK-stable as of tag v18.08.1-rc3
	• they've appeared in upstream DPDK-stable as of tag v18.11.1-rc1
	• they've appeared in upstream DPDK-stable as of tag v19.02-rc1

I had hoped that I might be able to build SPDK 18.10.1 against the forthcoming, pure upstream DPDK v18.08.1, but then after the email exchange with Jim who had forwarded email from Bruce Richardson and Ferruh Yigit, I was prompted to consider building against pure upstream DPDK v18.11 (or forthcoming pure upstream DPDK v18.11.1).

However, in any of those cases, it appears the following SPDK-originated patches to SPDK's fork of DPDK branch spdk-18.08 have not been promoted to any of the upstream DPDK branches/tags, but instead only carried as cherry-pick's to our fork of DPDK branch spdk-18.11 (or apparently nowhere further at all) so I'd like to understand the deeper ramifications of them so that I may decide whether to include them as rpm patches to a custom DPDK build.   For some I'm fairly certain I can ignore as they're either crypto or BSD-related, but some of them I've marked as "unknown ???" because I don't know what I should do about them.

fork DPDK branch spdk-18.08 hash (description)
======================================
fbde197 (dpdk: temp hacks to enable SPDK crypto vbdev)
- Planning to ignore this as I will configure/build SPDK 18.10.1 without crypto enabled.

895f630 (Revert "contigmem: do not zero pages during each mmap")
- Planning to ignore as this is only related to BSD.

4275b1a (RHEL 6.4 support - use previous 'deprecated' attibute API)
- unknown ???

4c617c2 (memory: implement "single file segments" for legacy mem mode)
- unknown ???

632bbe7 (vfio: don't map single-segment hugepage memory in legacy mem mode)
- unknown ???

812c579 (Revert "crypto/aesni_mb: call buffer manager allocation")
- Planning to ignore this as I will configure/build SPDK 18.10.1 without crypto enabled.

73fadf0 (crypto: allow memzone to be created from secondary process)
- Planning to ignore this as I will configure/build SPDK 18.10.1 without crypto enabled.

96fae0e (pci_common_uio: store the pci dev address in secondary processes)
- Planning to ignore this as I will configure/build SPDK 18.10.1 without crypto enabled.   Issue for QAT cards when using crypto drivers.

thanks,

--
Lance Hartmann
lance.hartmann(a)oracle.com

* Re: [SPDK] Analysis of SPDK-originated patches to DPDK fork spdk-18.08
@ 2019-03-06 17:17 Lance Hartmann ORACLE
From: Lance Hartmann ORACLE @ 2019-03-06 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Many thanks for shedding light on those "unknown" (to me) patches Darek.   That's a big help!

I think I'll build a DPDK based on either the forthcoming v18.11.1 if it is released soon, or possibly a custom v18.11 with the addition of the patch da7bee1 (malloc: notify primary process about hotplug in secondary).  I lean more toward some flavor of v18.11 since that's an LTS release, plus it seems that 70d3625 (bus/pci: fix unexpected resource mapping override) was not backport'd to DPDK v18.08.1; at least, I didn't see it in dpdk-stable v18.08.1-rc3.   That one *is* in v18.11.

During our last call, I think someone (Ben?) mentioned building an SPDK v18.10 (or preferably v18.10.1) against DPDK v18.11.   I'd really like to see that run through the test pool to gain greater confidence that it works well.

cheers,

--
Lance Hartmann
lance.hartmann(a)oracle.com