* New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-03-28 14:36 Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2024-03-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the moment if a layer doesn’t have enough volume to justify a dedicated mailing list for patches (see, for example, meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org>) then the convention is that the patches can be sent to yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org>.

However, that’s also the list that we encourage users of Yocto to use for help, so the list has a mix of patches for various layers and people asking for help, which isn’t ideal: users who want help don’t want to be flooded with patches for layers they’re not using, layer maintainers may not want to see the requests for help, and people who want the status reports have to receive patches and support.

The Yocto TSC has been discussing this, and as a solution to this we’ve just created a new mailing list: yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org>.  This list is specifically for Yocto-related projects which don’t have their own mailing list or other patch submission process.   We ask that all layers currently using yocto@ for patches move to yocto-patches@, so that yocto@ can be used purely for discussion and other non-patch related subjects.

Many thanks,
Ross
Yocto TSC member

* Re: [Openembedded-architecture] New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-04-02  8:38 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2024-04-02  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1508 bytes --]

On 28/03/2024 14:36, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment if a layer doesn’t have enough volume to justify a dedicated mailing list for patches (see, for example, meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org>) then the convention is that the patches can be sent to yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org>.
>
> However, that’s also the list that we encourage users of Yocto to use for help, so the list has a mix of patches for various layers and people asking for help, which isn’t ideal: users who want help don’t want to be flooded with patches for layers they’re not using, layer maintainers may not want to see the requests for help, and people who want the status reports have to receive patches and support.
>
> The Yocto TSC has been discussing this, and as a solution to this we’ve just created a new mailing list: yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org>.  This list is specifically for Yocto-related projects which don’t have their own mailing list or other patch submission process.   We ask that all layers currently using yocto@ for patches move to yocto-patches@, so that yocto@ can be used purely for discussion and other non-patch related subjects.

I think this is a great change, along with the new yocto-status@ list it will make things easier to follow :)

Do you know if yocto-patches@ will be available via lore.kernel.org?

Paul Barker

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* RE: New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-04-02 22:33 ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2024-04-02 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, ross.burton, openembedded-architecture, OE-core

To whoever is responsible for updating
https://www.yoctoproject.org/community/mailing-lists/: the links for the
two new lists both refer to yocto-announce rather than yocto-status and
yocto-patches.

//Peter

* Re: [yocto] New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-04-03 13:01   ` Neal Caidin
From: Neal Caidin @ 2024-04-03 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, peter.kjellerstedt; +Cc: ross.burton, openembedded-architecture, OE-core

Hi Peter,

Fixed by the YPE team (Yocto Project Elves).

Thanks for noticing and reporting!

Best,
Neal

*Neal Caidin*
Program Manager
The Linux Foundation
Durham, NC, U.S.A. - Eastern time zone
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)
ncaidin@linuxfoundation.org
https://meetings.hubspot.com/ncaidin

@ 2024-04-03 13:49   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2024-04-03 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt, yocto, ross.burton,
	openembedded-architecture, OE-core, Josef Holzmayr-Khosh Amoz

On Tue, 2024-04-02 at 22:33 +0000, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:

> To whoever is responsible for updating
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/community/mailing-lists/: the links for
> the two new lists both refer to yocto-announce rather than yocto-
> status and yocto-patches.

That should be fixed now, thanks.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-04-03 14:59   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2024-04-03 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pbarker.renesas; +Cc: openembedded-architecture, OE-core, yocto, Ross Burton

Hi Paul,

On 4/2/24 at 10:38, Paul Barker wrote:
> On 28/03/2024 14:36, Ross Burton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> At the moment if a layer doesn’t have enough volume to justify a dedicated mailing list for patches (see, for example, meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:meta-arm@lists.yoctoproject.org>) then the convention is that the patches can be sent to yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org>.
>>
>> However, that’s also the list that we encourage users of Yocto to use for help, so the list has a mix of patches for various layers and people asking for help, which isn’t ideal: users who want help don’t want to be flooded with patches for layers they’re not using, layer maintainers may not want to see the requests for help, and people who want the status reports have to receive patches and support.
>>
>> The Yocto TSC has been discussing this, and as a solution to this we’ve just created a new mailing list: yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:yocto-patches@lists.yoctoproject.org>.  This list is specifically for Yocto-related projects which don’t have their own mailing list or other patch submission process.   We ask that all layers currently using yocto@ for patches move to yocto-patches@, so that yocto@ can be used purely for discussion and other non-patch related subjects.
> I think this is a great change, along with the new yocto-status@ list it will make things easier to follow :)
>
> Do you know if yocto-patches@ will be available via lore.kernel.org?

I've just asked them to index the new lists as well as these important
ones which are missing too:
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto-announce
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/automated-testing
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto-security

Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [yocto] [Openembedded-architecture] New mailing list for layer patches
@ 2024-04-03 15:02     ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2024-04-03 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, michael.opdenacker
  Cc: pbarker.renesas, openembedded-architecture, OE-core, Ross Burton