From: Aditya <yashsri421@gmail.com>
To: Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
Cc: Markus Heiser <markus.heiser@darmarit.de>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>,
	"open list:DOCUMENTATION" <linux-doc@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] scripts: kernel-doc: avoid warnings due to initial commented lines in file
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 02:33:55 +0530	[thread overview]

On 10/3/21 11:49 am, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 10:24 PM Aditya <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The opening comment mark /** is used for kernel-doc comments [1]
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/doc-guide/kernel-doc.html#how-to-format-kernel-doc-comments
>>>

>> Hi Markus!
>> That's true. But the content inside the comment does not follow
>> kernel-doc format.
>> For e.g., try running kernel-doc -none/man/rst on the above file in
>> the example("sound/pci/ctxfi/ctresource.c").
>> The starting 2-3 lines in files generally do not contain any
>> struct/enum/function, etc. declaration.
>>

> Aditya, can you provide a diff of the warnings over the whole kernel tree?
>
> At the moment, your patch just implements ignoring the initial
> comment, which probably is good for experimentation.
>
> Alternatively, we could simply have a dedicated warning and then
> ignore it or even warn and then parse it as-if.
>
> In the "long run", we would probably want to fix all current files in
> the repository by just replacing '/**' by '/*' and have kernel-doc
> warn about this suspicious pattern, when new files appear (maybe even
> configurable, but that is another feature to enable or disable certain
> kernel-doc checks and warnings). I would certainly assist and
> contribute to such a clean-up task.
>
> I think the first step is to look at the diff, and see how many cases
> really appear in the tree... then check how many patches throughout
> the whole tree are required and if they are generally accepted.

Hi Lukas!
This is the diff of the warnings over kernel tree before and after
applying these changes.
There are 2 sections in this report:
1) for the warnings present before, but not after, and;
2) after but not before

The part (2) contains, for some cases, where the warning for "warning:
Incorrect use of kernel-doc format:" type has changed to "warning:
wrong kernel-doc identifier on line:" type.

The diff file can be found at:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/random/kernel-doc/avoid_init_line_diff.txt

Thanks
Aditya