* (no subject)
@ 2020-02-20  5:40 Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2020-02-20  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

Dear QEMU list members,

This will kind of be a repost but I'd like to post my question again
because I've gained some more knowledge that makes me feel that my question
would be easier to answer.  So we developed a custom-made QEMU VM that
emulates a custom machine that has an e5500 processor.  I'm running this VM
on a T4240-RDB board which has an e6500 processor and I'm trying to get the
VM running with KVM enabled.  The problem I'm having is the program counter
refuses to increment at all.  It just stays at the address 0xFFFFFFFC.  On
a run without KVM enabled, the VM will also start executing at this same
address but the program counter beings to increment immediately.  I know
this is a custom QEMU VM and maybe some of the startup stuff we do could be
causing problems, but what could possibly stop the program counter from
incrementing altogether?

Also, I do have another side question.  When running with KVM enabled, I
see the kernel-level ioctl call KVM_RUN running and then returning over and
over again (by the way before the VM kinda grinds to a halt I only see QEMU
make the KVM_RUN call twice, but the kernel-level ioctl function is being
called over and over again for some reason).  And each time the KVM_RUN
call returns, the return-from-interrupt takes the VM to the address
0xFFFFFFFC.  What is the KVM_RUN ioctl call used for?  Why is it being
called over and over again?  Maybe if I understood this better I'd be able
to figure out what's stopping my program counter from incrementing.

-Thanks, Wayne Li