* DOSEMU - This program cannot be run in DOS mode
@ 2009-06-25  4:51 Jason Lillywhite
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Lillywhite @ 2009-06-25  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

I created a very simple program in Mono VB. All it does is take your
age in STDIN and return a formatted string to STDOUT in a DOS prompt.
I compiled it and moved the exe to the virtual C directory of DOSEMU.
I tried to run it in DOSEMU and get "This program cannot be run in DOS
mode" error. This program works on Windows. Any ideas?

* Re: DOSEMU - This program cannot be run in DOS mode
@ 2009-06-25  8:44 ` Javier Tarifa
From: Javier Tarifa @ 2009-06-25  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Lillywhite; +Cc: linux-msdos

> I created a very simple program in Mono VB. All it does is take your
> age in STDIN and return a formatted string to STDOUT in a DOS prompt.
> I compiled it and moved the exe to the virtual C directory of DOSEMU.
> I tried to run it in DOSEMU and get "This program cannot be run in DOS
> mode" error. This program works on Windows. Any ideas?
Run it on windows.

* Re: DOSEMU - This program cannot be run in DOS mode
@ 2009-06-25  9:04   ` Philip Creevy
From: Philip Creevy @ 2009-06-25  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Tarifa; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 10:44 +0200, Javier Tarifa wrote:
> > I created a very simple program in Mono VB. All it does is take your
> > age in STDIN and return a formatted string to STDOUT in a DOS prompt.
> > I compiled it and moved the exe to the virtual C directory of DOSEMU.
> > I tried to run it in DOSEMU and get "This program cannot be run in DOS
> > mode" error. This program works on Windows. Any ideas?
> Run it on windows.

Trying running on a computer without MONO or VB installed and see if
it still runs, if not then you know you have a dependency on MONO or
VB inbedded in your program.
Philip

* Re: DOSEMU - This program cannot be run in DOS mode
@ 2009-06-25 17:29 ` Jason Lillywhite
From: Jason Lillywhite @ 2009-06-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Thank you for all the replies to this question. I hope this is the
right email to reply to. I know I should be using Windows for
developing VB apps. I just needed to test a very small program and I
don't have Windows. I guess I will have to go find a Windows machine!
Thanks again for your replies.

@ 2009-06-25 17:37   ` Frank Cox
From: Frank Cox @ 2009-06-25 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Lillywhite; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:29:45 -0600
Jason Lillywhite wrote:

> Thank you for all the replies to this question. I hope this is the
> right email to reply to. I know I should be using Windows for
> developing VB apps. I just needed to test a very small program and I
> don't have Windows. I guess I will have to go find a Windows machine!

http://www.winehq.org/

* Re: DOSEMU - This program cannot be run in DOS mode
@ 2009-06-25 19:45 ` Jason Lillywhite
From: Jason Lillywhite @ 2009-06-25 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Everyone is pointing me to WINE for running VB applications inside
Linux. That makes sense. The reason I was looking at DOSEMU was
because I want to test a console application that can only be run from
the command line. My test VB application takes STDIN as input then
returns STDOUT as output. Is there a way in WINE to run a Windows
command line? I guess I need to move over to the WINE
documentation/forums. Thank you for your help!

@ 2009-06-26  8:57   ` Javier Tarifa
From: Javier Tarifa @ 2009-06-26  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Lillywhite; +Cc: linux-msdos

> Everyone is pointing me to WINE for running VB applications inside
> Linux. That makes sense. The reason I was looking at DOSEMU was
> because I want to test a console application that can only be run from
> the command line. My test VB application takes STDIN as input then
> returns STDOUT as output. Is there a way in WINE to run a Windows
> command line? I guess I need to move over to the WINE
> documentation/forums. Thank you for your help!

If I'm not mistaken, you can use wcmd or wineconsole

@ 2009-06-26 13:41     ` Stuart Axon
From: Stuart Axon @ 2009-06-26 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Tarifa; +Cc: Jason Lillywhite, linux-msdos

AFAIKT vb is built on the windows api, so like they say you can
probably use wcmd to run it on the console, but you'll probably need
wine.

If your really keen on running it in dosemu, HX Dos extender might
help, OTOH wine will probably work better
http://www.japheth.de/HX.html