* names for root swnodes in INT33FE driver and others
@ 2022-07-18 20:17 Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2022-07-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede; +Cc: Platform Driver

HI!

During the discussion of some DSA rework [1] I just realized that
names for root swnodes are not required and moreover should be unique
in the system. Looking into the INT33FE driver I'm now asking myself
why we are still using names there (except just convenience for us)?

Note, theoretically it might be possible that one can somehow connect
another i2c device to those Cherry Trail machines (let's say via
USB-to-I2C adapter). And somehow try to register swnode from maybe
out-of-tree driver, however it's not an issue to the official kernel.

That said, maybe better just to remove them where we don't rely on their names?

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/YtWzWdkFVMg0Hyvf@smile.fi.intel.com/

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: names for root swnodes in INT33FE driver and others
@ 2022-07-27 14:17 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2022-07-27 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko; +Cc: Platform Driver

Hi Andy,

On 7/18/22 22:17, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> HI!
>
> During the discussion of some DSA rework [1] I just realized that
> names for root swnodes are not required and moreover should be unique
> in the system. Looking into the INT33FE driver I'm now asking myself
> why we are still using names there (except just convenience for us)?
>
> Note, theoretically it might be possible that one can somehow connect
> another i2c device to those Cherry Trail machines (let's say via
> USB-to-I2C adapter). And somehow try to register swnode from maybe
> out-of-tree driver, however it's not an issue to the official kernel.
>
> That said, maybe better just to remove them where we don't rely on their names?

For some nodes the name is important, e.g. drivers/usb/typec/class.c does:

	altmodes_node = device_get_named_child_node(&port->dev, "altmodes");

And AFAIK the connector node also must be called "connector"

I guess we could drop the names for the nodes which are directly attached
to "chips", rather then being specific child nodes of these chips, but
the names being present there does not seem harmful and this might be
useful for debugging.

Regards,

Hans