* [meta-java] openjdk vs openjre recipe history
@ 2018-08-04 10:01 André Draszik
From: André Draszik @ 2018-08-04 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

Does anybody know why there are openjdk & openjre recipes, rather than just
one recipe creating mulitple runtime packages?

With the current approach, we get
* a JRE from the openjdk recipe
* a (separately compiled) JRE from the openjre recipe
even though they are compiled from the same sources

And you also have to constantly modify your PREFERRED_PROVIDER java2-vm /
java2-runtime based on the image you want to build, e.g. building an image
that wants to install openjdk, but your preferred provider is openjre, gives
you lots of warnings from bitbake, meaning you have to update your preferred
provider.

This isn't very intuitive to say the least.

Other distros (or debian at least), just create multiple packages from the
same recipe, i.e. there is one openjdk source, which creates both the
runtime only package, and the compiler in a separate package, amongst other
things.

Cheers,
Andre'

* Re: [meta-java] openjdk vs openjre recipe history
@ 2018-08-06 10:38 ` Richard Leitner
From: Richard Leitner @ 2018-08-06 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Jens Rehsack

Hi,

On 08/04/2018 12:01 PM, André Draszik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know why there are openjdk & openjre recipes, rather than just
> one recipe creating mulitple runtime packages?

I guess you are talking about openjdk/jre 8, as openjdk and jre 7 are within
one recipe.

The initial openjdk-8 commit bac3b9acee5110390d15d38dacdb1622e31b2238 was
done by Jens, so maybe he could provide some more details?

In his commit message it sounds like he intended to do separate recipes
because of a stripped openjre-8 and avoiding cherry-picking files...

commit bac3b9acee5110390d15d38dacdb1622e31b2238
Author: Jens Rehsack <rehsack@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Dec 8 14:52:51 2015 +0100

    openjdk-8: add recipes for openjdk-8 and openjre-8

    This adds openjdk-8 for native and target builds and allows a stripped
    openjre-8 being built as well instead of trying to cherry-pick jre
    components from jdk-image.

    The recipes allow building openjdk-8 with or without:
    * x11
    * cups
    * alsa/pulseaudio
    and let packager enable unlimited-crypto, if desired.

    To support certificate based java libraries, cacerts is created based on
    ca-certificates from OE-core.

    Since there can be only one PROVIDES for virtual/java-native and virtual/javac-native,
    move the provides to openjdk-8-native (I think everyone agrees it's a better
    choice than ecj-bootstrap-native).

    Plus: Applying a fix from openjdk-9 repository which fixes build issues using gcc5