* btrfs scrub with unexpected results
@ 2016-11-02 21:55 Tom Arild Naess
From: Tom Arild Naess @ 2016-11-02 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,

I have been running btrfs on a file server and backup server for a
couple of years now, both set up as RAID 10. The file server has been
running along without any problems since day one. My problems has been
with the backup server.

A little background about the backup server before I dive into the
problems. The server was a new build that was set to replace an aging
machine, and my intention was to start using btrfs send/receive instead
of hard links for the backups. Since I had 8x the space on the new
server, I just rsynced the whole lot of old backups to the new server. I
then made some scripts that created snapshots from the old file
hierarchy. As I started rewriting my backup scripts (on file server and
backup server) to use send/receive, I also tested scrubbing to see that
everything was OK. After doing this a few times, scrub found
unrecoverable files. This, I thought, should not be possible on new
disks. I tried to get some help on this list, but no answers were found,
and since I was unable to find what triggered this, I just stopped using
send/receive, and let my old backup regime live on on this new backup
server as well. I don't remember how I fixed the errors, but I guess I
just replaced the offending files with fresh ones, and scrub ran without
any more problems. I decided to let things just run like this, and set
up scrubbing on a monthly schedule.

Last night I got the unpleasant mail from cron telling me that scrub had
failed (for the first time in over a year). Since I was running on an
older kernel (4.2.x), I decided to upgrade, and went for the latest of
the longterm branches, namely 4.4.30. After rebooting I did (for
whatever reason) check one of the offending files, and I could read the
file just fine! I checked the rest of the bunch, and all files read
fine, and had the same md5 sum as the originals! All these files were
located in those old snapshots. I thought that maybe this was because of
a bug resolved since my last kernel. Then I ran a new scrub, and this
one also reported unrecoverable errors. This time on two other files but
also in some of the old snapshots. I tried reading the files, and got
the expected I/O errors. One reboot later, these files reads just fine
again!

Some system info:

$ uname -a
Linux backup 4.4.30-1-lts #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 22:09:20 CET 2016 x86_64
GNU/Linux

$ btrfs --version
btrfs-progs v4.8.2

$ btrfs fi show /backup
Label: none  uuid: 8825ce78-d620-48f5-9f03-8c4568d3719d
     Total devices 4 FS bytes used 2.81TiB
     devid    1 size 2.73TiB used 1.41TiB path /dev/sdb
     devid    2 size 2.73TiB used 1.41TiB path /dev/sda
     devid    3 size 2.73TiB used 1.41TiB path /dev/sdd
     devid    4 size 2.73TiB used 1.41TiB path /dev/sdc

Thanks!

Tom Arild Naess