* Re: git svn clone cannot go beyond a specific rev on codeplex
       [not found] <850545563.3152522.1463160098080.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-05-13 17:21 ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2016-05-13 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: git

On
 Fri, 13/5/16, Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> wrote:

 Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@users.sourceforge.net>
 wrote:
 > I tried bin-wrappers/ from
 current git HEAD.

 $ git describe
 > v2.8.2-396-g5fe494c

> Which SVN version?    `git
 svn --version`

$ git svn --version
git-svn version 2.5.5 (svn 1.9.3)

Argh, bin-wrappers/ does not set PERL5LIB to the not-yet-installed perl
modules, or does it depend on the host version of svn? Oh, of course it is using the host's - the error says so... sorry about that.

 bin-wrappers/git svn clone https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn
 ironpython-old-codeplex

 > always fails at this rev:

 Src/Tests/test_re.py
 > r7605 =
 e581bc66eda2b86bf46681191034844c4ba7d7a5
 (refs/remotes/git-svn)
 > Connection reset
 by peer: Error running context: Connection reset by peer at
 /home/Nobak-Hin-Tak/tmp-git/git/perl/blib/lib/Git/SVN/Ra.pm
 line 312.

 Can you resume
 with "git svn fetch" ?

No - or maybe I was not patient enough? I did try resuming - I tried
clone'ing twice, then a separate init/fetch, and another clone; and
resume on at least two of those. It seems to hang, so I did ctrl-C after
 a minute or two. I'll give it another try now, and let it run for a
reasonably long time.

$ time git svn fetch --all
Connection reset by peer: Error running context: Connection reset by peer at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Git/SVN/Ra.pm line 308.

real	9m15.951s
user	0m1.018s
sys	0m0.453s

trying to resume fetch get the same error after 9 minutes.

* Re: git svn clone cannot go beyond a specific rev on codeplex
@ 2016-05-13 23:02   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2016-05-13 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: git

Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I suppose I could keep fetching to see if I can get past that rev one day :-(.

Maybe try and see if you can create a mirror using svnsync
and go from there?  Or see if you can get a closer machine to
test this on.

It could also be a bug in your particular version of svn, the
"svn diff" command I ran was using an ancient Debian wheezy,
SVN 1.6.17 (32-bit)

* Re: git svn clone cannot go beyond a specific rev on codeplex
       [not found] <320381260.3220496.1463164131860.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-05-13 18:28 ` Hin-Tak Leung
From: Hin-Tak Leung @ 2016-05-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: git

I tried your svn diff directly, and got the same error:

$ /usr/bin/time -v -o /tmp/svn-log svn diff -r7604:8870 https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn > /dev/null
svn: E000104: Error running context: Connection reset by peer

$ more /tmp/svn-log
Command exited with non-zero status 1
	Command being timed: "svn diff -r7604:8870 https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn"
	User time (seconds): 0.14
	System time (seconds): 0.03
	Percent of CPU this job got: 0%
	Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 7:32.71

So the other end decided to drop it after 7 and half minutes. You said you were successful, so this seems connectivity/server-load related?

@ 2016-05-13 10:34   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2016-05-13 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hin-Tak Leung; +Cc: git

Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> I tried bin-wrappers/ from current git HEAD.
>
> $ git describe
> v2.8.2-396-g5fe494c

Which SVN version?	`git svn --version`

> bin-wrappers/git svn clone https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn ironpython-old-codeplex
>
> always fails at this rev:
>
> 	M	Src/Tests/test_re.py
> r7605 = e581bc66eda2b86bf46681191034844c4ba7d7a5 (refs/remotes/git-svn)
> Connection reset by peer: Error running context: Connection reset by peer at /home/Nobak-Hin-Tak/tmp-git/git/perl/blib/lib/Git/SVN/Ra.pm line 312.

Can you resume with "git svn fetch" ?

I suspect it's too big a change to the next revision (r8870)
since they rearranged the repo (*sigh*):

	svn log -r 7604:HEAD -v https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn

I don't think I've seen the "Error running context:" error
message before, so it could be something (either the server or
client) running out of memory, hitting a timeout or CPU limit
of some sort...

This gave me a 7MB diff, but seems to have gone through without
error after taking a long time:

	svn diff -r7604:8870 https://ironpython.svn.codeplex.com/svn

> I am sure there are later revs, as the web front end says so,
> but git svn clone/fetch does not seem to be able to get at it.

When in doubt, reach for "svn log" and see how strange things get :)

> (vger.kernel did not seem to like my posts a while ago - I
> hope situation has improved and this can go through...)

This was fine; but feel free to Cc: me and you can always check
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git
or other archives.

* git svn clone cannot go beyond a specific rev on codeplex
       [not found] <1755662347.2265534.1463089085574.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-05-12 21:38 ` Hin-Tak Leung