* Port Newer Kernel to Android Device
@ 2015-02-22  4:52 nick
From: nick @ 2015-02-22  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Greetings Fellow Kernel Developers,
I was wondering if there is any way to port a newer kernel to my device without
breaking the android user space. The device is a Samsung Alpha and it would be
nice to run a newer kernel for various reasons.
Nick

* Port Newer Kernel to Android Device
@ 2015-02-22 13:04 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-02-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 23:52:06 -0500, nick said:
> Greetings Fellow Kernel Developers,
> I was wondering if there is any way to port a newer kernel to my device without
> breaking the android user space.

Yes. There is a way.
If that is the case , would you mind telling me how to  do  it.
Thanks, Nick

@ 2015-02-22 17:46     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-02-22 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 08:40:59 -0500, Nicholas Krause said:
> Validis,
> If that is the case , would you mind telling me how to  do  it.

Step 1: Get good enough at kernel hacking to forward-port all the
Android-specific patches.  Those should be available to you from Samsung
as they are GPL.

Step 2: Forward-port the patches.

Step 3: Build and install your new kernel.
That was my concern.  How much forward porting is required.
Nick

@ 2015-02-23  0:55         ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-02-23  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:19:40 -0500, Nicholas Krause said:
> Validis,
> That was my concern.  How much forward porting is required.

That will depend on your actual skill level.  That which is a long weekend's
work for a master kernel hacker will be several week's work for a journeyman,
a summer's project for a beginner, and impossible for a neophyte.

But I will go out on a limb and say that if you've already gotten the
patch, looked at it, and still can't make even an estimate of how long it would
take you, you're probably not going to be able to do the porting.
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 13:19:40 -0500, Nicholas Krause said:
>> Validis,
>> That was my concern.  How much forward porting is required.
>
> That will depend on your actual skill level.  That which is a long weekend's
> work for a master kernel hacker will be several week's work for a journeyman,
> a summer's project for a beginner, and impossible for a neophyte.
>
> But I will go out on a limb and say that if you've already gotten the
> patch, looked at it, and still can't make even an estimate of how long it would
> take you, you're probably not going to be able to do the porting.

Valdis,
This is just a idea for now I haven't have the idea to look at making the porting
patch(es) yet.
Nick

* Port Newer Kernel to Android Device
@ 2015-02-23  5:05             ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-02-23  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:02:14 -0500, nick said:
> This is just a idea for now I haven't have the idea to look at making the
> porting patch(es) yet.

Then it really doesn't matter how long it will take, because it's not
likely to actually happen.  So why you bothering to ask?

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:02:14 -0500, nick said:
>> This is just a idea for now I haven't have the idea to look at making the
>> porting patch(es) yet.
>
> Then it really doesn't matter how long it will take, because it's not
> likely to actually happen.  So why you bothering to ask?

I was curious if this is possible. As other distros like
Red Hat are very hard to port the patches to from the
main line kernel.
Thanks for the Answers,
Nick

* Port Newer Kernel to Android Device
@ 2015-02-23 17:54                 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2015-02-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:50:52 -0500, Nick Krause said:
> I was curious if this is possible. As other distros like
> Red Hat are very hard to port the patches to from the
> main line kernel.

Forward porting the patches isn't much trouble - the Rawhide guys seem to be
able to do that almost *every single day*, since they build against a
near-nightly pull from Linus's git tree.

What's difficult is beating patches into a condition that can be merged
upstream - often the patch is one that the upstream maintainer doesn't want to
accept (for instance, of the 60 patches in today's Rawhide kernel
(kernel-3.20.0-0.rc0.git10.1.fc23.src.rpm), we have things like:

die-floppy-die.patch - removes the PNP alias for floppy drives.  Not
suitable for upstream until we finally get disgustipated enough to
throw floppy.c overboard.

silence-fbcon-logo.patch - suppresses the framebuffer CPU icons at boot,
and not suitable for upstream because it only exists to support Plymouth.

hibernate-Disable-in-a-signed-modules-environment.patch - another one-liner
that there's considerable room to disagree whether it should be upstream.
Yes, it enhances security.  However, it also puts a significant crimp in
usability.

Most of the Android patches are in a similar boat - they're probably not
that hard to drag along release to release, but they're almost impossible
to upstream due to philosophical differences.