* What crush ruleset for a given SHEC configuration ?
@ 2015-05-19  6:38 Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-19  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miyamae, Takeshi; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Takeshi,

In the context of http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/erasure-code-shec/ it would be useful to have a more detailed explanation of why SHEC is more efficient during recovery (in the introduction).

Am I correct to assume that SHEC does not provide a way to control the locality of the chunks ? For instance in the following scenario:

rack 1 has 10 OSDs
rack 2 has 10 OSDs

a crush ruleset is made to provide 15 OSDs with 7 in the first rack, 8 in the last rack: the first 7 are in rack 1, the last 8 in rack 2. When SHEC is used with such a crush ruleset, it cannot guarantee that the loss of one chunk in rack 2 can always be recovered with chunks from rack 2. When reading at figure 3 of

https://wiki.ceph.com/Planning/Blueprints/Hammer/Shingled_Erasure_Code_%28SHEC%29

with D1 to D5, P1 and P2 in rack 1 and D6 to D10, P3, P4, P5 in rack 2, my understanding is that to recover D6 which is in rack 2 it may be necessary to use P2 from rack 1. And to recover D5 which is in rack 1 it may be necessary to use P3 from rack 2.

Maybe I'm missing something ? Thanks in advance for your explanations :-)

Cheers
--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* RE: What crush ruleset for a given SHEC configuration ?
@ 2015-05-19  9:11 ` Miyamae, Takeshi
From: Miyamae, Takeshi @ 2015-05-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Loic,

> to recover D6 which is in rack 2 it may be necessary to use P2 from rack 1

Because D6 can be recovered from P3 as well, P2 is not necessarily used to recover D6.
However, when D6 is recovered from P3, D5 which is in rack 1 must be read.
Therefore, I believe Ceph-LRC is more efficient when network resources is poor such as
in case of Geo-Replication. SHEC should be used in a single data center that has enough
network resources.

Best regards,
Takeshi Miyamae

@ 2015-05-19 10:47   ` Loic Dachary