* How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-15 20:38 Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-15 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm building an RPi3 system that is going to use mysql/mariadb. I've got everything installed, but mysqld is not starting. install_db.service does run on startup, but the mysqld.service file never gets triggered.

Is there something that I'm missing to get it to run? I've search online, but can't find anything that pertains to yocto.

Regards,

Greg Wilson-Lindberg

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-15 20:54 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson-Lindberg; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
<GWilson@sakuraus.com> wrote:
> I'm building an RPi3 system that is going to use mysql/mariadb. I've got
> everything installed, but mysqld is not starting. install_db.service does
> run on startup, but the mysqld.service file never gets triggered.
>

> Is there something that I'm missing to get it to run? I've search online,
> but can't find anything that pertains to yocto.

poke on the system with systemctl/journalctl to see whats going on

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-15 21:16   ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

journalctl -u mysqld.service says no entries
systemctl status mysqld.service shows:
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

I've rebooted the system a couple of times to see if install_db needed to be run before mysql would run, no luck.

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-16 15:58     ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > > On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
> > <GWilson@sakuraus.com<mailto:GWilson@sakuraus.com>> wrote:
> > > I'm building an RPi3 system that is going to use mysql/mariadb. I've got
> > > everything installed, but mysqld is not starting. install_db.service does
> > > run on startup, but the mysqld.service file never gets triggered.
> > >

> > > Is there something that I'm missing to get it to run? I've search online,
> > > but can't find anything that pertains to yocto.
> > >

> > poke on the system with systemctl/journalctl to see whats going on
>
> journalctl -u mysqld.service says no entries
> systemctl status mysqld.service shows:
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>
> I've rebooted the system a couple of times to see if install_db needed to be run before mysql would run, no luck.

It's seems that maybe I need to add a bit about my understanding of the yocto system. I was assuming that if I included mysql in the build, that it would be started when the system powered up. If mysql is not normally started automatically that I can do what is necessary to start it, I just thought that I shouldn't need to do anything.

Greg

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-16 18:55       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson-Lindberg; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
<GWilson@sakuraus.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yes you are right. We try to do runtime testing as much as possible and you will
see more and more focus on runtime testing in coming days and months. So far
we have had lot of build related features and stability problems to
work on so chances
of runtime bugs are still a bit higher. You can help in fixing this
issue if you can root
cause it. eg. check in system logs using journalctl for possible
causes of this service
not starting up. Often times you will get a decent hint and we can
help as well on
that information

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-16 21:10         ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> journalctl -u mysqld.service says no entries
> >
> >> systemctl status mysqld.service shows:
> >
> >>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service; disabled;
> >> vendor
> >> preset: enabled)
> >
> >>    Active: inactive (dead)
> >

> >> I've rebooted the system a couple of times to see if install_db
> >> needed to be run before mysql would run, no luck.
> >

> > It's seems that maybe I need to add a bit about my understanding of
> > the yocto system. I was assuming that if I included mysql in the
> > build, that it would be started when the system powered up. If mysql
> > is not normally started automatically that I can do what is necessary
> > to start it, I just thought that I shouldn't need to do anything.
>
> Yes you are right. We try to do runtime testing as much as possible and you will see
> more and more focus on runtime testing in coming days and months. So far we
> have had lot of build related features and stability problems to work on so chances
> of runtime bugs are still a bit higher. You can help in fixing this issue if you can root
> cause it. eg. check in system logs using journalctl for possible causes of this service
> not starting up. Often times you will get a decent hint and we can help as well on
> that information

I've run journalctl on both install_db.service & mysqld.service. mysqld comes back with no entries. install_db comes back with a line each for Starting and Started Install MySQL Community Server Database.

systemctl status returns exited success for install_db, for mysqld it reports Active: inactive (dead).

systemctl list-unit-files shows install_db as enabled and mysqld as disabled.

I was able to start mysqld with systemctl start and it showed running with systemctl status & ps. But it did not restart after a reboot.

If there is anything else that I can do to help understand what is going on please let me know.

Greg

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-16 21:15           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson-Lindberg; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
<GWilson@sakuraus.com> wrote:
> [...]

can you try

systemctl enable mysqld

this should enable it to start on boot.

@ 2018-03-16 21:22             ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-16 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > I've run journalctl on both install_db.service & mysqld.service. mysqld comes
> back with no entries. install_db comes back with a line each for Starting and Started
> Install MySQL Community Server Database.
> >
> > systemctl status returns exited success for install_db, for mysqld it reports Active:
> inactive (dead).
> >
> > systemctl list-unit-files shows install_db as enabled and mysqld as disabled.
> >
> > I was able to start mysqld with systemctl start and it showed running with
> systemctl status & ps. But it did not restart after a reboot.
>
> can you try
>
> systemctl enable mysqld
>
> this should enable it to start on boot.

That did create a link and it started on reboot.

I take it that something is happening in install_db and among other things that link is not getting created?

Greg

@ 2018-03-16 21:51               ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-03-16 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson-Lindberg; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
<GWilson@sakuraus.com> wrote:
> [...]

OK thats expected see ./meta-oe/recipes-dbs/mysql/mariadb.inc

SYSTEMD_PACKAGES = "${PN}-server ${PN}-setupdb"
SYSTEMD_SERVICE_${PN}-server = "mysqld.service"
SYSTEMD_AUTO_ENABLE_${PN}-server ?= "disable"

its disabled on install. you can set it to be enabled via a bbappend
in your layer

> I take it that something is happening in install_db and among other things that link is not getting created?

its calling

mysql-systemd-start pre

but it depends on mysqld.service so I wonder if it was not working
because mysqld.service was disabled
so may be now it works

* Re: How to get mysqy/mariadb to start on powerup.
@ 2018-03-16 21:58                 ` Greg Wilson-Lindberg
From: Greg Wilson-Lindberg @ 2018-03-16 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Greg Wilson-Lindberg
> >> <GWilson@sakuraus.com>

So it seems that I should do a .bbappend with it enabled then.
Thanks,
Greg

@ 2020-04-21 10:56                 ` slopez
From: slopez @ 2020-04-21 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)