* [cip-dev] cip-dev progress report weeks 20 - 29
@ 2018-07-25 12:31 Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2018-07-25 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi! Here's a report on the Codethink CIP testing development over the
past few weeks.

CIP kernel testing

- The master of B at D now installs 2018.4 rather the latest from
  debian-backports making the tool more resilient to upstream changes
  and allowing us to evaluate an upstream change before it goes live.

- Also linked to the above the beaglebone black health check now uses an
  inline test; this both breaks the reliance upon an upstream test repos
  structure and making testing less dependent upon needing an internet connection.

- Renesas board - this hardware continued to not give consistent results in B at D
  tests so for the moment development has been suspended.

- Development has started on using docker containers for B at D - the
  kernelci one is up and kernel builds have successfully been uploaded
  to it, there is an outstanding issue with retrieving those builds from
  the container. Work is also being carried out on the lava docker container.

Robert
--
Robert Marshall, Software Developer                       Codethink Ltd
Telephone: +44 7762 840 414       3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street

* [cip-dev] cip-dev progress report weeks 20 - 29
@ 2018-07-25 13:27 ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-07-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

> The master of B at D now installs 2018.4 rather the latest from
>  debian-backports making the tool more resilient to upstream changes
>  and allowing us to evaluate an upstream change before it goes live.

I absolutely agree with this approach, only I would use the following
Lava release:

ii  lava-dispatcher
2018.5.post1-1+stretch      amd64                   Linaro Automated
Validation Architecture dispatcher
ii  lava-server
2018.5.post1-1+stretch      all                         Linaro
Automated Validation Architecture server

Thus making this line in the integration scripts as following:

sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -y install
lava=2018.5.post1-1+stretch -t stretch-backports

I have tested this release, and with exclusion of minor bugs it works
very fine (these bugs are also present in 2018.4).

Do NOT use Lava 2018.7 (I guess, it is a mess)!

Thank you,
Zoran
_______

@ 2018-08-02 15:00   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2018-08-02 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Zoran

Thanks for this.

Zoran S <zoran.stojsavljevic.de@gmail.com> writes:

>> The master of B at D now installs 2018.4 rather the latest from
>>  debian-backports making the tool more resilient to upstream changes
>>  and allowing us to evaluate an upstream change before it goes live.
>
> I absolutely agree with this approach, only I would use the following
> Lava release:
>
> ii  lava-dispatcher
> 2018.5.post1-1+stretch      amd64                   Linaro Automated
> Validation Architecture dispatcher
> ii  lava-server
> 2018.5.post1-1+stretch      all                         Linaro
> Automated Validation Architecture server
>
> Thus making this line in the integration scripts as following:
>
> sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -y install
> lava=2018.5.post1-1+stretch -t stretch-backports
>
> I have tested this release, and with exclusion of minor bugs it works
> very fine (these bugs are also present in 2018.4).

We've stuck with 2018-4 as it has worked but will evaluate newer
versions at appropriate times rather than finding the version has
changed on a fresh provision and potentially having to fix things quickly!

> Do NOT use Lava 2018.7 (I guess, it is a mess)!

Thanks for this information - I'll see when we get to it!

Robert

@ 2018-08-03  8:27     ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-08-03  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Robert,

I start talking with Linaro VPs (at least, there are @ replies to my
inquires),

Here is the latest I sent to them:

*The proposal is the following: Can you. Linaro guys, work out thestrategy
with Debian, so Debian can include in their repos at most 6months old
Linaro Lava release?Let say, Lava-2018.4. Yes, there are the bugs, but
people can be verycomfortable with main Debian Lava release. And watch
aside what ishappening in your Linaro backport development? So there is
alwaysfall-back, using Debian Lava?*

Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you,
Zoran

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Robert Marshall <
> [...]

> >>   inline test; this both breaks the reliance upon an upstream test repos
> >>   structure and making testing less dependent upon needing an internet
> connection.
> >>
> >> - Renesas board - this hardware continued to not give consistent
> results in B at D
> >>   tests so for the moment development has been suspended.
> >>
> >> - Development has started on using docker containers for B at D - the
> >>   kernelci one is up and kernel builds have successfully been uploaded
> >>   to it, there is an outstanding issue with retrieving those builds from
> >>   the container. Work is also being carried out on the lava docker
> container.
> >>
> >> Robert
> >> --
> >> Robert Marshall, Software Developer                       Codethink Ltd
> >> Telephone: +44 7762 840 414       3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] cip-dev progress report weeks 20 - 29
@ 2018-08-08  7:59     ` Zoran S
From: Zoran S @ 2018-08-08  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

> We've stuck with 2018-4 as it has worked but will evaluate newer
> versions at appropriate times rather than finding the version has
> changed on a fresh provision and potentially having to fix things quickly!

Please, try these commands:
$ apt-cache madison lava-server
$ apt-cache madison lava-dispatcher

Example:

vagrant at stretch:~$ apt-cache madison lava-dispatcher
lava-dispatcher | 2018.5.post1-2~bpo9+1 | http://deb.debian.org/debian
stretch-backports/main amd64 Packages
lava-dispatcher |  2016.12-1 | http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main
amd64 Packages
lava-dispatcher |  2016.12-1 | http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main
Sources

In integration script, in install_lava.sh script, use the following line:

## retrieve the latest lava version from here
echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main " | sudo
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

According to madison option, it'll give you 2018.5.post1-2~bpo9+1 versions.

Thank you,
Zoran
_______