* trouble connecting to Panduit VGA adapter
@ 2017-09-01 16:50 Marko Schuetz-Schmuck
       [not found] ` <8760d2l5wb.fsf-f33AOTK7+lbX+vW38RFYrNCxrpqD2CPhTe0o6cGyJhVOkF7Ps2FP9sSZaPDiD1+dCMT5wD9pSYU@public.gmane.org>
From: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck @ 2017-09-01 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I want to connect to an InFocus projector that sits behind a Panduit VGA
adapter. I use a Thinkpad P51 with a mini display-port to VGA
converter. The laptop runs Manjaro and has the
video-hybrid-intel-nouveau-prime installed and it works with other
monitors. For some reason it does not detect the projector that is
connected through the Panduit. The keyboard shortcut to switch monitor
configuration says "No External Display". xrandr reports only the
built-in screen.

I talked to the technician for the room installation and he told me that
he had seen this before on a Ubuntu machine and that switching to the
proprietary nvidia driver solved that problem. For various reasons I'd
rather not switch to that driver.

I also found some lines with "DRM: DDC responded, but no EDID for DP-1"
in them from around the time I tried connecting to the projector. Could
they be related?

Is there some setting or configuration that can help in this case?

Best regards,

Marko

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: trouble connecting to Panduit VGA adapter
@ 2017-09-01 17:01   ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]     ` <CAKb7Uvg37iJGwzCZZyJHzSRNb=KHAtDjHutzdWB=gjr0JTe9bQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]     ` <87tw0ik2um.fsf@tpad-m.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-09-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Are you running a v4.12-based kernel? If so, update to v4.13-rcN or
integrate https://github.com/skeggsb/linux/commit/13a86519202c5d119d83640d6f781f3181205d2c
into your kernel build.

@ 2017-09-01 17:09       ` Roy Spliet
From: Roy Spliet @ 2017-09-01 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

If this doesn't work I suspect the converter is really blocking/damaging
the EDID information. The official NVIDIA driver is willing to fall back
to default modes, but this fall-back was handled less gracefully on
nouveau last time I checked.

You might be able to use the xrandr tool to manually add a mode for the
display. Forgive me for not knowing the exact syntax, but from what I
recall you can use cvt to generate a modeline and copy-paste the
parameters into an xrandr command to add, then use a second xrandr
command to enable the display either in mirror mode or positioned
relative to another display. If you're lucky, that mode corresponds well
enough with what the projector will accept to just work.

       [not found]       ` <87tw0ik2um.fsf-f33AOTK7+lbX+vW38RFYrNCxrpqD2CPhTe0o6cGyJhVOkF7Ps2FP9sSZaPDiD1+dCMT5wD9pSYU@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-09-04 17:23         ` Ilia Mirkin
       [not found]           ` <CAKb7Uvi62si1di1WCKCM0b9hD_yHBSvQsQKsPiOfAjX2gV3Ytw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Mirkin @ 2017-09-04 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Does v4.13 fix your issues? v4.10 also included significant rework
related to DP-MST, and I wouldn't be surprised if it fixed a few DP
issues along the way. (Also, please don't drop the list from your
replies.)

@ 2017-09-12 14:47             ` Marko Schuetz-Schmuck
From: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck @ 2017-09-12 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Mirkin; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW