* Difference between WCN7850 and WCN7851 ?
@ 2024-01-19 11:36 GreyXor
From: GreyXor @ 2024-01-19 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath12k

Hi, I'm interested in acquiring a WiFi 7 card for my laptop, and I came across the Qualcomm QCNCM865, which is Qualcomm's WiFi 7 card. Upon checking Wi-Cat, I noticed that it features a WCN7851 chipset. However, when examining the ath12k/linux source, I couldn't find any mention of the WCN7851; only the WCN7850 was referenced. What implications does this have? Can I still obtain a WCN7851, or would it be advisable to opt for a card with a WCN7850 chipset, given its greater number of updates and references in the kernel? Thank you for your assistance.

* Re: Difference between WCN7850 and WCN7851 ?
@ 2024-01-19 12:12 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2024-01-19 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GreyXor; +Cc: ath12k

GreyXor <greyxor@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm interested in acquiring a WiFi 7 card for my laptop, and I
> came across the Qualcomm QCNCM865, which is Qualcomm's WiFi 7 card.
> Upon checking Wi-Cat, I noticed that it features a WCN7851 chipset.
> However, when examining the ath12k/linux source, I couldn't find any
> mention of the WCN7851; only the WCN7850 was referenced. What
> implications does this have? Can I still obtain a WCN7851, or would it
> be advisable to opt for a card with a WCN7850 chipset, given its
> greater number of updates and references in the kernel?

I don't know what changes WCN7851 has compared to WCN7850 but in general
these changes are transparently handled by the firmware and the host
driver just sees it as WCN7850. But I hope someone who is familiar with
WCN7851 can confirm this.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: Difference between WCN7850 and WCN7851 ?
@ 2024-01-19 14:55   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2024-01-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GreyXor; +Cc: ath12k

Kalle Valo <kvalo@kernel.org> writes:

> GreyXor <greyxor@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, I'm interested in acquiring a WiFi 7 card for my laptop, and I
>> came across the Qualcomm QCNCM865, which is Qualcomm's WiFi 7 card.
>> Upon checking Wi-Cat, I noticed that it features a WCN7851 chipset.
>> However, when examining the ath12k/linux source, I couldn't find any
>> mention of the WCN7851; only the WCN7850 was referenced. What
>> implications does this have? Can I still obtain a WCN7851, or would it
>> be advisable to opt for a card with a WCN7850 chipset, given its
>> greater number of updates and references in the kernel?
>
> I don't know what changes WCN7851 has compared to WCN7850 but in general
> these changes are transparently handled by the firmware and the host
> driver just sees it as WCN7850. But I hope someone who is familiar with
> WCN7851 can confirm this.

Another thing I want to point out: usually board files are a major
problem so before buying anything I recommend checking that there's a
board file available for ath12k.