* make cleandocs issue: rm -rf /output when obj not defined
@ 2021-07-24 19:56 pioneer695
From: pioneer695 @ 2021-07-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corbet; +Cc: linux-doc

In an attempt to get some readable documentation I cloned the git repository
to check how the PDF format is.

Entered Documentation and proceeded with:

	make pdfdocs

which failed, so to start fresh, my thought was that:

	make cleandocs

would be the next step before anything else. But, this resulted in:

	rm -rf /output

as $(obj) for some reason was empty.

Makefile for Documentation has:

	BUILDDIR      = $(obj)/output

	cleandocs:
		$(Q)rm -rf $(BUILDDIR)

This should (at least?!) be:

	BUILDDIR      = ./$(obj)/output
or:
	$(Q)rm -rf ./$(BUILDDIR)

Best regards,

* Re: make cleandocs issue: rm -rf /output when obj not defined
@ 2021-07-25 20:11 ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2021-07-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pioneer695; +Cc: linux-doc

pioneer695 <pioneer695@protonmail.com> writes:

> In an attempt to get some readable documentation I cloned the git repository
> to check how the PDF format is.
>
> Entered Documentation and proceeded with:
>
> 	make pdfdocs
>
> which failed, so to start fresh, my thought was that:
>
> 	make cleandocs
>
> would be the next step before anything else. But, this resulted in:
>
> 	rm -rf /output

That's not good...

> as $(obj) for some reason was empty.

*This* would appear to be the real problem.  If you could do some
digging to figure out why that happened, I suspect that would be
useful.

> Makefile for Documentation has:
>
> 	BUILDDIR      = $(obj)/output
>
> 	cleandocs:
> 		$(Q)rm -rf $(BUILDDIR)
>

> This should (at least?!) be:
>
> 	BUILDDIR      = ./$(obj)/output
> or:
> 	$(Q)rm -rf ./$(BUILDDIR)

These would break builds for a lot of people and are not the right
solution.

Thanks for the report,

jon

* Re: make cleandocs issue: rm -rf /output when obj not defined
@ 2021-07-25 20:53   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2021-07-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet, pioneer695; +Cc: linux-doc

On 7/25/21 1:11 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> pioneer695 <pioneer695@protonmail.com> writes:
>
>> In an attempt to get some readable documentation I cloned the git repository
>> to check how the PDF format is.
>>
>> Entered Documentation and proceeded with:
>>
>> 	make pdfdocs

Hi,
I'm curious about this part above. Are you saying that you did:

cd Documentation
make pdfdocs

I've never tried that and don't expect it to be done that way.

I do (from the top of the kernel source tree):

make pdfdocs
or
make htmldocs

with no problems, other than I may not have all of the latex
tools installed.

--
~Randy

* Re: make cleandocs issue: rm -rf /output when obj not defined
@ 2021-07-27 11:25     ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2021-07-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Jonathan Corbet, pioneer695, linux-doc

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 01:53:30PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 7/25/21 1:11 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > pioneer695 <pioneer695@protonmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> In an attempt to get some readable documentation I cloned the git repository
> >> to check how the PDF format is.
> >>
> >> Entered Documentation and proceeded with:
> >>
> >> 	make pdfdocs
>
> Hi,
> I'm curious about this part above. Are you saying that you did:
>
> cd Documentation
> make pdfdocs
>
> I've never tried that and don't expect it to be done that way.
>
> I do (from the top of the kernel source tree):
>
> make pdfdocs
> or
> make htmldocs
>
> with no problems, other than I may not have all of the latex
> tools installed.

Perhaps we should rename Documentation/Makefile to Documentation/Kbuild
to prevent this confusion?

* Re: make cleandocs issue: rm -rf /output when obj not defined
@ 2021-08-17 21:23     ` pioneer695
From: pioneer695 @ 2021-08-17 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Jonathan Corbet, linux-doc

Hi,

Sorry for a rather delayed feedback. Got cut of due to various circumstances in real life. Added a comment below.

> On 7/25/21 1:11 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>
> > pioneer695 pioneer695@protonmail.com writes:
> >
> > > In an attempt to get some readable documentation I cloned the git repository
> > >
> > > to check how the PDF format is.
> > >
> > > Entered Documentation and proceeded with:
> > >
> > > make pdfdocs
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious about this part above. Are you saying that you did:
>
> cd Documentation
>
> make pdfdocs
>
> I've never tried that and don't expect it to be done that way.
>
> I do (from the top of the kernel source tree):
>
> make pdfdocs
>
> or
>
> make htmldocs
>
> with no problems, other than I may not have all of the latex
>
> tools installed.

Yes. This is correct. After realizing my errors building from root gave no issues. I thought the Documentation was a separate make tree from the rest.

IF it could be an issue, beyond my stupidity, a simple README that say *build this from root* or similar should suffice in my opinion. I always look for README, COMPILING or the like (but that's me).

~pioneer695