* [RFC] Drop support for x86_32 from Xenomai 3.2
@ 2021-01-17 17:26 Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-01-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

The I-pipe and Cobalt ports to x86_32 received neither careful
maintenance nor testing for ages. In addition, Dovetail does not support
the 32bit legacy mode, and there is no plan to do so. Therefore I
recommend to stop supporting the x86_32 architecture starting from
Xenomai 3.2, which echoes what Jan has been saying for quite a while
about this issue too.

If you do care about running Xenomai on this architecture and are
willing to maintain such a port in the long run, this is definitely the
right time to make your case, asap.

Philippe.

* RE: [RFC] Drop support for x86_32 from Xenomai 3.2
@ 2021-01-18  2:49 ` Meng, Fino
From: Meng, Fino @ 2021-01-18  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

>The I-pipe and Cobalt ports to x86_32 received neither careful
>maintenance nor testing for ages. In addition, Dovetail does not support
>the 32bit legacy mode, and there is no plan to do so. Therefore I
>recommend to stop supporting the x86_32 architecture starting from
>Xenomai 3.2, which echoes what Jan has been saying for quite a while
>about this issue too.
>
>If you do care about running Xenomai on this architecture and are
>willing to maintain such a port in the long run, this is definitely the
>right time to make your case, asap.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>Philippe.

Agree,  plenty of Linux distro dropped x86_32 years ago.

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

* Re: [RFC] Drop support for x86_32 from Xenomai 3.2
@ 2021-01-18 14:07 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-01-18 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, xenomai

On 17.01.21 18:26, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> The I-pipe and Cobalt ports to x86_32 received neither careful
> maintenance nor testing for ages. In addition, Dovetail does not support
> the 32bit legacy mode, and there is no plan to do so. Therefore I
> recommend to stop supporting the x86_32 architecture starting from
> Xenomai 3.2, which echoes what Jan has been saying for quite a while
> about this issue too.
>
> If you do care about running Xenomai on this architecture and are
> willing to maintain such a port in the long run, this is definitely the
> right time to make your case, asap.

Just to clarify: This affects the host kernel, not 32-bit userland
(compat), right? The latter is still a must-have in several applications
here, and I think beyond as well.

BTW, we should also deprecate the x32 ABI.

Jan

* Re: [RFC] Drop support for x86_32 from Xenomai 3.2
@ 2021-01-21 15:33   ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2021-01-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:

> On 17.01.21 18:26, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>
>> The I-pipe and Cobalt ports to x86_32 received neither careful
>> maintenance nor testing for ages. In addition, Dovetail does not support
>> the 32bit legacy mode, and there is no plan to do so. Therefore I
>> recommend to stop supporting the x86_32 architecture starting from
>> Xenomai 3.2, which echoes what Jan has been saying for quite a while
>> about this issue too.
>>
>> If you do care about running Xenomai on this architecture and are
>> willing to maintain such a port in the long run, this is definitely the
>> right time to make your case, asap.
>>

> Just to clarify: This affects the host kernel, not 32-bit userland
> (compat), right? The latter is still a must-have in several applications
> here, and I think beyond as well.

Only 32bit kernel support would be dropped, 32bit compat over 64bit
would stay.

> BTW, we should also deprecate the x32 ABI.

Agreed.

--
Philippe.