* [Buildroot] package libldns
@ 2022-02-03  2:01 ca0 via buildroot
From: ca0 via buildroot @ 2022-02-03  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Building this package with orangepi_zero_defconfig results in an useless user system because both thee files are blown away
./output/target/usr/lib/ld-musl-armhf.so.1
./output/host/arm-buildroot-linux-musleabihf/sysroot/usr/lib/ld-musl-armhf.so.1

Is the ldconfig hackery needed for embedded systems and is it supported when cross compiling?

* Re: [Buildroot] package libldns
@ 2022-02-03 18:45 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2022-02-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ca0, buildroot

  Hi ca0,

On 03/02/2022 03:01, ca0 via buildroot wrote:
> Building this package with orangepi_zero_defconfig results in an useless user system because both thee files are blown away

  What is "this package"? The subject mentions libidns, but there's no libidns
package in buildroot.

  What do you mean with "blown away"?

> ./output/target/usr/lib/ld-musl-armhf.so.1

  This file belongs to the musl standard C library, but orangepi_zero_defconfig
builds a uClibc standard C library, so it shouldn't even be there.

  You can check which libraries are needed for an executable or shared library
with "readelf -d output/target/...". All the libraries mentioned there should
exist in output/target/lib or output/target/usr/lib. If not, it is indeed broken.

  If you want more help, you will need to provide a whole lot more details.

  Regards,
  Arnout

@ 2022-02-03 18:49   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2022-02-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ca0, buildroot

On 03/02/2022 19:45, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>  Hi ca0,
>
> On 03/02/2022 03:01, ca0 via buildroot wrote:
>> Building this package with orangepi_zero_defconfig results in an useless user
>> system because both thee files are blown away
>
>  What is "this package"? The subject mentions libidns, but there's no libidns
> package in buildroot.

  Apparently I misread, it's libldns which does indeed exist.

  I did a build of it and it looks OK...

  Regards,
  Arnout

@ 2022-02-03 21:37     ` ca0 via buildroot
From: ca0 via buildroot @ 2022-02-03 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle; +Cc: buildroot

Naah - builds only for Intel.  Do an arm build and you'll find that the
m4/libtool.m4 runs a whole lot of ldconfig commands that show some error codes and the worst part is that the libc files mentioned are "blown away" (see https://dictionary.tn/whats-another-word-for-blown-away/) like taken our behind the shed and have a few bullets put in them - ie. deleted. Do you know what a pain it is not having the build fail there and then, because you have to debug a non working init, check the kernel and then find that your user space has been crippled by some Nazi collaborators (my bad, I'll stick to EU Nazi references from now on).

Are you saying that this package works for ARM?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

@ 2022-02-05 12:48       ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2022-02-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ca0 via buildroot; +Cc: ca0

 > Naah - builds only for Intel.  Do an arm build and you'll find that the
 > m4/libtool.m4 runs a whole lot of ldconfig commands that show some
 > error codes and the worst part is that the libc files mentioned are
 > "blown away" (see
 > https://dictionary.tn/whats-another-word-for-blown-away/) like taken
 > our behind the shed and have a few bullets put in them -
 > ie. deleted. Do you know what a pain it is not having the build fail
 > there and then, because you have to debug a non working init, check
 > the kernel and then find that your user space has been crippled by
 > some Nazi collaborators (my bad, I'll stick to EU Nazi references from
 > now on).

 > Are you saying that this package works for ARM?

It builds here on armv7/musl without issues on git master:

cat defconfig
BR2_arm=y
BR2_cortex_a9=y
BR2_ARM_ENABLE_VFP=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_BOOTLIN=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_BOOTLIN_ARMV7_EABIHF_MUSL_STABLE=y
BR2_PACKAGE_LIBLDNS=y
# BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_TAR is not set

tree target/lib target/usr/lib
target/lib
├── ld-musl-armhf.so.1 -> ../lib/libc.so
├── libatomic.so.1 -> libatomic.so.1.2.0
├── libatomic.so.1.2.0
├── libc.so
└── libgcc_s.so.1
target/usr/lib
├── libcrypto.so -> libcrypto.so.1.1
├── libcrypto.so.1.1
├── libgfortran.so.5 -> libgfortran.so.5.0.0
├── libgfortran.so.5.0.0
├── libldns.so -> libldns.so.3.2.0
├── libldns.so.3 -> libldns.so.3.2.0
├── libldns.so.3.2.0
├── libssl.so -> libssl.so.1.1
├── libssl.so.1.1
├── libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.28
├── libstdc++.so.6.0.28
├── libstdc++.so.6.0.28-gdb.py
├── libz.so -> libz.so.1.2.11
├── libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.11