* CI with --enable-debug?
@ 2021-03-01 14:06 Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2021-03-01 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Alex Bennée, Wainer dos Santos Moschetta
  Cc: qemu-devel

Today I debugged why Paolo couldn't reproduce an assertion failure I
found in review.  Turns out compiling with optimization masks it for
both of us.

This made me wonder whether our CI tests with and without optimization.
I quick grep finds --enable-debug in .travis.yml, but not in .gitlab*.
Is this a gap?

* Re: CI with --enable-debug?
@ 2021-03-02  5:14 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2021-03-02  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Alex Bennée, Wainer dos Santos Moschetta
  Cc: qemu-devel

On 01/03/2021 15.06, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Today I debugged why Paolo couldn't reproduce an assertion failure I
> found in review.  Turns out compiling with optimization masks it for
> both of us.
>
> This made me wonder whether our CI tests with and without optimization.
> I quick grep finds --enable-debug in .travis.yml, but not in .gitlab*.
> Is this a gap?

When did you update your local repo the last time? There should be at least
one --enable-debug in the gitlab CI now, see commit ac6d7074c0751f6.

If that didn't catch your problem, it's bad luck. With the slow shared
runners, we currently cannot test each and every combination. But if you've
got an idea where to add another switch, feel free to send patches.

  Thomas

* Re: CI with --enable-debug?
@ 2021-03-02  6:44   ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2021-03-02  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Alex Bennée, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	qemu-devel, Wainer dos Santos Moschetta

Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> writes:

> On 01/03/2021 15.06, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Today I debugged why Paolo couldn't reproduce an assertion failure I
>> found in review.  Turns out compiling with optimization masks it for
>> both of us.
>> This made me wonder whether our CI tests with and without
>> optimization.
>> I quick grep finds --enable-debug in .travis.yml, but not in .gitlab*.
>> Is this a gap?
>
> When did you update your local repo the last time? There should be at
> least one --enable-debug in the gitlab CI now, see commit
> ac6d7074c0751f6.

I figure I had switched to an elderly review branch, and forgot to grep
master instead of HEAD, so I missed this change.  Sorry for the noise!

[...]

* Re: CI with --enable-debug?
@ 2021-03-02  9:17 ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2021-03-02  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,

Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com> writes:

> Today I debugged why Paolo couldn't reproduce an assertion failure I
> found in review.  Turns out compiling with optimization masks it for
> both of us.
>
> This made me wonder whether our CI tests with and without optimization.
> I quick grep finds --enable-debug in .travis.yml, but not in .gitlab*.
> Is this a gap?

Yes - certainly for check-tcg tests it's worth having --enable-debug
because it also enables --enable-tcg-debug which turns on a bunch of
additional sanity checking in the TCG code.

--
Alex Bennée