* [Qemu-devel] Proposed 2.5 release schedule
@ 2015-09-07 10:50 Peter Maydell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-09-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

Here's a suggested 2.5 release schedule, constructed fairly arbitrarily
by putting a week's margin for slippage in before everybody leaves for
Christmas, and having a four week softfreeze and four week hardfreeze:

 Softfreeze 15 Oct
 Hardfreeze 12 Nov
 Release 10 Dec

(these are all Thursdays, and this gives us five and a half weeks til
softfreeze.)

Does anybody have any different preferences, want to suggest shorter
freeze periods, etc?

(Philosophical question: I tend to assume we will slip by a week, because
we pretty much have always done so over the last few weeks. If we made
the official hardfreeze a week longer, would we make our releases on
the scheduled date, or would we just end up slipping another week
anyhow? :-))

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposed 2.5 release schedule
@ 2015-09-07 15:03 ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2015-09-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> Here's a suggested 2.5 release schedule, constructed fairly arbitrarily
> by putting a week's margin for slippage in before everybody leaves for
> Christmas, and having a four week softfreeze and four week hardfreeze:
>
>  Softfreeze 15 Oct
>  Hardfreeze 12 Nov
>  Release 10 Dec
>
> (these are all Thursdays, and this gives us five and a half weeks til
> softfreeze.)
>
> Does anybody have any different preferences, want to suggest shorter
> freeze periods, etc?

Sounds good to me.

> (Philosophical question: I tend to assume we will slip by a week, because
> we pretty much have always done so over the last few weeks. If we made
> the official hardfreeze a week longer, would we make our releases on
> the scheduled date, or would we just end up slipping another week
> anyhow? :-))

I wouldn't want to bet on the former :)

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposed 2.5 release schedule
@ 2015-09-09  9:25 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2015-09-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 11:50:11AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> Here's a suggested 2.5 release schedule, constructed fairly arbitrarily
> by putting a week's margin for slippage in before everybody leaves for
> Christmas, and having a four week softfreeze and four week hardfreeze:
>
>  Softfreeze 15 Oct
>  Hardfreeze 12 Nov
>  Release 10 Dec

Sounds good.

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposed 2.5 release schedule
@ 2015-09-11 16:55 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2015-09-11 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

On 7 September 2015 at 11:50, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> Here's a suggested 2.5 release schedule, constructed fairly arbitrarily
> by putting a week's margin for slippage in before everybody leaves for
> Christmas, and having a four week softfreeze and four week hardfreeze:
>
>  Softfreeze 15 Oct
>  Hardfreeze 12 Nov
>  Release 10 Dec
>
> (these are all Thursdays, and this gives us five and a half weeks til
> softfreeze.)

No countersuggestions, so I've removed the bit from the wiki page
that said 'provisional'.

NB: for this release I want to try recording release-critical issues
on the wiki page, so I don't miss them when rolling release candidates.
Hopefully this will be a fairly low-effort thing for everybody.

thanks
-- PMM