* Power save / 11v support feature
@ 2009-06-17 16:09 Ramesh R
From: Ramesh R @ 2009-06-17 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello,

I am interested to work on the power save /  11v support. Is someone already working on this?

Thanks
Ramesh

* Re: Power save / 11v support feature
@ 2009-06-17 16:53 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2009-06-17 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramesh R; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:09 -0700, Ramesh R wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested to work on the power save /  11v support. Is someone already working on this?

In what sense would you want to work on it? I mean, on what in
particular? 11v support probably needs firmware support first so unless
you have a device you can hack for that you're not going to be able to
do much ... ar9170 comes to mind, but doesn't really have powersaving
anyway.

And just general powersaving, what actually remains to be done? Could
look into supporting uAPSD on station side, I guess?

johannes

* Re: Power save / 11v support feature
@ 2009-06-17 17:36 ` Jouni Malinen
From: Jouni Malinen @ 2009-06-17 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramesh R; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:09:21AM -0700, Ramesh R wrote:

> I am interested to work on the power save /  11v support. Is someone already working on this?

Well, I'm planning on implementing some of the 802.11v features once the
needed values for frame types etc. are allocated by ANA. As far as power
saving is concerned, I would be most likely to start with adding
WNM-Sleep Mode support in hostapd.

* Re: Power save / 11v support feature
@ 2009-06-18 12:33   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2009-06-18 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Ramesh R, linux-wireless

Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 09:09 -0700, Ramesh R wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am interested to work on the power save /  11v support. Is someone already working on this?
>
> In what sense would you want to work on it? I mean, on what in
> particular? 11v support probably needs firmware support first so unless
> you have a device you can hack for that you're not going to be able to
> do much ... ar9170 comes to mind, but doesn't really have powersaving
> anyway.
>
> And just general powersaving, what actually remains to be done? Could
> look into supporting uAPSD on station side, I guess?

Yes, at least client mode U-APSD is needed. And I'm sure there's room
for improvements.

--
Kalle Valo