* Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-12 15:38 Shuah Khan
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

Dear TAB members,

Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.

Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024

In the period of October 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024, the Code of
Conduct Committee received the following reports:

Unprofessional behavior or comments in email: 2

The result of the investigation:
  - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
    conduct on conversations that don't go against the CoC.
  - Education and coaching the individuals on the impact of making
    unprofessional comments which could be misunderstood leading
    to negative impressions about the community.

    The reports were about the offhand comments made while rejecting
    the code which are not violations of the Code of Conduct.

Unacceptable behavior or comments on a private invitee only chat
channel: 1
  - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
    conduct on conversations that occur on a private chat channel.

We would like to thank the Linux kernel community members who have
supported the adoption of the Code of Conduct and who continue to
uphold the professional standards of our community. If you have
questions about this report, please write to <conduct@kernel.org>.

thanks,
-- Shuah (On behalf of the Code of Conduct Committee)

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-17 17:51 ` Shuah Khan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

All,

On 4/12/24 09:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.

Please give it a read when you get a chance and give us feedback.

@ 2024-04-17 19:10   ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2024-04-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> writes:

> All,
>
> On 4/12/24 09:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
>> Dear TAB members,
>>
>> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
>> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.
>
> Please give it a read when you get a chance and give us feedback.

Looks fine to me, FWIW.

It does occur to me to wonder, though, if these reports should say who
the committee is?  That might help to make things appear just a bit less
opaque.

jon

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-17 19:32 ` Dave Hansen
From: Dave Hansen @ 2024-04-17 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct

On 4/12/24 08:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
> The result of the investigation:
>  - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>    conduct on conversations that don't go against the CoC.
>  - Education and coaching the individuals on the impact of making
>    unprofessional comments which could be misunderstood leading
>    to negative impressions about the community.
>
>    The reports were about the offhand comments made while rejecting
>    the code which are not violations of the Code of Conduct.
>
> Unacceptable behavior or comments on a private invitee only chat
> channel: 1
>  - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>    conduct on conversations that occur on a private chat channel.

Looks good to me as well.

Is there any opportunity here to improve the documentation?  Or is this
education and coaching generally for cases where the existing docs
weren't being read in the first place?

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-22  9:42     ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-22  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Corbet, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

On 4/17/24 13:10, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> writes:
>
>> All,
>>
>> On 4/12/24 09:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
>>> Dear TAB members,
>>>
>>> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
>>> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.
>>
>> Please give it a read when you get a chance and give us feedback.
>
> Looks fine to me, FWIW.
>
> It does occur to me to wonder, though, if these reports should say who
> the committee is?  That might help to make things appear just a bit less
> opaque.

Would you like to see information on what the CoC is and what it does?
I can include a summary of that is what is does or better yet we could
add link to the CoC page?

Would that work?

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-22  9:45   ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-22  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hansen, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

On 4/17/24 13:32, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 4/12/24 08:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
>> The result of the investigation:
>>   - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>>     conduct on conversations that don't go against the CoC.
>>   - Education and coaching the individuals on the impact of making
>>     unprofessional comments which could be misunderstood leading
>>     to negative impressions about the community.
>>
>>     The reports were about the offhand comments made while rejecting
>>     the code which are not violations of the Code of Conduct.
>>
>> Unacceptable behavior or comments on a private invitee only chat
>> channel: 1
>>   - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>>     conduct on conversations that occur on a private chat channel.
>
> Looks good to me as well.
>
> Is there any opportunity here to improve the documentation?  Or is this
> education and coaching generally for cases where the existing docs
> weren't being read in the first place?

It is the case of not reading the existing documents and/or misunderstanding
the role of CoC. This is similar to what we see in patch submissions - even
with documentation on how to submit patches, we still see it not followed.

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-22 15:25 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2024-04-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan; +Cc: tech-board-discuss, conduct

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 09:38:27AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.

Looks good, thanks.  Apologies for the delay in reading it; things
have been crazy busy lately.

					- Ted

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-22 18:48   ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2024-04-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

Shuah Khan wrote:
> All,
>
> On 4/12/24 09:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
> > Dear TAB members,
> >
> > Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
> > March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.
>
> Please give it a read when you get a chance and give us feedback.

Hi Shuah,

Looks ok to me. This feels like a manageable level of activity, do you
see any indicators that we as a community need to be more proactive on
any recurring themes?

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-23  8:14     ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

On 4/22/24 12:48, Dan Williams wrote:
> Shuah Khan wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> On 4/12/24 09:38, Shuah Khan wrote:
>>> Dear TAB members,
>>>
>>> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
>>> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.
>>
>> Please give it a read when you get a chance and give us feedback.
>
> Hi Shuah,
>
> Looks ok to me. This feels like a manageable level of activity, do you
> see any indicators that we as a community need to be more proactive on
> any recurring themes?

Yes it is very manageable. I am not seeing anything that is of a concern.
We have been clarifying maintainer rights and normal review process - but
this is in general addressed quickly once the reporter understands the
process.

As I am writing this, I am thinking we could hold a Ask an Expert session
on CoC at one of the upcoming conferences to be accessible.

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-23 15:53       ` Jonathan Corbet
From: Jonathan Corbet @ 2024-04-23 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan, tech-board-discuss; +Cc: conduct, Shuah Khan

Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> writes:

> On 4/17/24 13:10, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> It does occur to me to wonder, though, if these reports should say who
>> the committee is?  That might help to make things appear just a bit less
>> opaque.
>
> Would you like to see information on what the CoC is and what it does?
> I can include a summary of that is what is does or better yet we could
> add link to the CoC page?

The link would suffice, I think.

Thanks,

jon

* Re: Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-04-28 20:00 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2024-04-28 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan; +Cc: tech-board-discuss, conduct

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:38:27 -0600
Shuah Khan <skhan@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Dear TAB members,
>
> Please review this Code of Conduct Report for October 1, 2023 through
> March 31, 2024 and give us feedback.

> Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
>
> In the period of October 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024, the Code of
> Conduct Committee received the following reports:
>
> Unprofessional behavior or comments in email: 2
>
> The result of the investigation:
>   - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>     conduct on conversations that don't go against the CoC.
>   - Education and coaching the individuals on the impact of making
>     unprofessional comments which could be misunderstood leading
>     to negative impressions about the community.
>
>     The reports were about the offhand comments made while rejecting
>     the code which are not violations of the Code of Conduct.
>
> Unacceptable behavior or comments on a private invitee only chat
> channel: 1
>   - Education and coaching clarifying the role of Code of Conduct
>     conduct on conversations that occur on a private chat channel.
>
> We would like to thank the Linux kernel community members who have
> supported the adoption of the Code of Conduct and who continue to
> uphold the professional standards of our community. If you have
> questions about this report, please write to <conduct@kernel.org>.

[ Coming back from my travels in Japan and catching up on email
  (6 hour layover in Detroit!) ]

LGTM.

-- Steve

* Linux Kernel Code of Conduct Committee: March 31, 2024
@ 2024-04-26 14:13 Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2024-04-26 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Please visit the following Code of Conduct link below for information
about the Code of Conduct Committee and previous reports:

- https://www.kernel.org/code-of-conduct.html