* [Buildroot] mtd-utils 2.0.0-rc2
@ 2016-12-16  8:28 David Oberhollenzer
From: David Oberhollenzer @ 2016-12-16  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

a new version of mtd-utils is about to be released which, among other things,
includes tons of fixes, cleanups and replaces the old, broken Makefile with
an autotools based buildsystem.

Due to the many changes, especially regarding the build system we bumped the
major version number, did an RC1 release last week and an RC2 release with
fixes this week. Assuming all goes well, the final release will be next week.

Tarball:               ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/mtd-utils/mtd-utils-2.0.0-rc2.tar.bz2
Tarball gpg signature: ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/mtd-utils/mtd-utils-2.0.0-rc2.tar.bz2.asc
Signed git tag:        git://git.infradead.org/mtd-utils.git v2.0.0-rc2

I am writing this as both announce mails failed to reach the buildroot community
(RC1 had a dead address and got bounced. I tried sending RC2 to the list but it
was rejected as I wasn't registered yet).

There has been little feedback on the new autotools based build system so far, so
it would be great if someone could give it try on the release candidate and give
us some feedback _now_, so we don't ship a final version that fails to build on
some obscure setup or target I didn't think of.

Regards,

David

On Fri, 2016-12-16 at 09:28 +0100, David Oberhollenzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a new version of mtd-utils is about to be released which, among other
> things,
> includes tons of fixes, cleanups and replaces the old, broken
> Makefile with
> an autotools based buildsystem.
>
> Due to the many changes, especially regarding the build system we
> bumped the
> major version number, did an RC1 release last week and an RC2 release
> with
> fixes this week. Assuming all goes well, the final release will be
> next week.
>

> Tarball:???????????????ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/mtd-utils/mtd-util
> s-2.0.0-rc2.tar.bz2
> Tarball gpg signature: ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/mtd-utils/mtd-util
> s-2.0.0-rc2.tar.bz2.asc
> Signed git tag:????????git://git.infradead.org/mtd-utils.git v2.0.0-
> rc2
>

> I am writing this as both announce mails failed to reach the
> buildroot community
> (RC1 had a dead address and got bounced. I tried sending RC2 to the
> list but it
> was rejected as I wasn't registered yet).
>
> There has been little feedback on the new autotools based build
> system so far, so
> it would be great if someone could give it try on the release
> candidate and give
> us some feedback _now_, so we don't ship a final version that fails
> to build on
> some obscure setup or target I didn't think of.

I tested building mtd 2.0.0-rc2 by using the autotools-package
infrastructure. I have two remarks:

1/ zlib is only required by mkfs.jffs2 and mkfs.ubifs
2/ Buildroot offers the possibility to install the "integck" tool on
the target. This is not covered by mtd, yet.

Apart from those, the build works fine.

Best regards,
J?rg Krause

* [Buildroot] mtd-utils 2.0.0-rc2
@ 2016-12-16 13:49   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2016-12-16 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

>> There has been little feedback on the new autotools based build
 >> system so far, so
 >> it would be great if someone could give it try on the release
 >> candidate and give
 >> us some feedback _now_, so we don't ship a final version that fails
 >> to build on
 >> some obscure setup or target I didn't think of.

 > I tested building mtd 2.0.0-rc2 by using the autotools-package
 > infrastructure. I have two remarks:

 > 1/ zlib is only required by mkfs.jffs2 and mkfs.ubifs
 > 2/ Buildroot offers the possibility to install the "integck" tool on
 > the target. This is not covered by mtd, yet.

 > Apart from those, the build works fine.

Thanks for testing J?rg (and you David/Richard for moving to a standard
build system). I wanted to test as well, but I haven't found time for it
yet.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] mtd-utils 2.0.0-rc2
@ 2016-12-21 16:12   ` David Oberhollenzer
From: David Oberhollenzer @ 2016-12-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

thanks for the feedback and thanks for testing!

On 12/16/2016 12:31 PM, J?rg Krause wrote:
> 1/ zlib is only required by mkfs.jffs2 and mkfs.ubifs
I looked into that and patched the configure script to allow disabling
those and not require their respective dependencies. The patch has been
sent to the linux-mtd mailing list a few minutes ago.

> 2/ Buildroot offers the possibility to install the "integck" tool on
> the target. This is not covered by mtd, yet.
By default, the integck tool, as well as  the other test binaries are
built along with the other programs, unless explicitly disabled.

If required, the tests can be installed by setting the configure
option --enable-install-tests.

However, as far as I can tell, the buildroot mtd package allows
micromanaging what binaries to install. If automake does not
generate individual install targets per executable, some
workaround will be required anyway.

Regards,

David