* ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-10-22 15:14 ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-10-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath11k; +Cc: linux-wireless, kvalo

Hello,

I have recently purchased some QCA6391 cards and I am going to try to
get them working with Linux.

I've seen the instructions for QCA6390 and I'm wondering if they will
also apply to QCA6391, or if it's possible to get it working without
major work.

Does anyone know?

~ dev

* ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-10-22 15:14 ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-10-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath11k; +Cc: kvalo, linux-wireless

Hello,

I have recently purchased some QCA6391 cards and I am going to try to
get them working with Linux.

I've seen the instructions for QCA6390 and I'm wondering if they will
also apply to QCA6391, or if it's possible to get it working without
major work.

Does anyone know?

~ dev

* Re: ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-11-02 18:51   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-02 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: ath11k, linux-wireless

Devin Bayer <dev@doubly.so> writes:

> I have recently purchased some QCA6391 cards and I am going to try to
> get them working with Linux.
>
> I've seen the instructions for QCA6390 and I'm wondering if they will
> also apply to QCA6391, or if it's possible to get it working without
> major work.

To my knowledge, from ath11k point of view, QCA6391 should look the same
as QCA6390 but most likely the board file for QCA6391 is different.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

* Re: ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-11-02 18:51   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-02 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

@ 2020-11-03 10:53     ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-11-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

On 02/11/2020 19.51, Kalle Valo wrote:

> To my knowledge, from ath11k point of view, QCA6391 should look the same
> as QCA6390 but most likely the board file for QCA6391 is different.

Thanks. If I get to that point, I have been given firmware files from the
vendor:

4076546464 3602624 amss.bin
1400223385 57936 bdwlan.bin
1400223385 57936 bdwlan.e0102
1400223385 57936 bdwlan.e0104
1400223385 57936 bdwlan.elf
 691636418 57936 bdwlan01.e01
1400223385 57936 bdwlan01.e02
 691636418 57936 bdwlan01.e03
3117335203 57936 bdwlan01.e04
1014175487 266684 m3.bin

They are different than those from your repo, but maybe I can use
bdwlan01.e04 as the board file. 🤔

~ dev

* Re: ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-11-03 10:53     ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-11-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

@ 2020-11-03 13:56       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

Devin Bayer <dev@doubly.so> writes:

> On 02/11/2020 19.51, Kalle Valo wrote:
>>
>> To my knowledge, from ath11k point of view, QCA6391 should look the same
>> as QCA6390 but most likely the board file for QCA6391 is different.
>>

> Thanks. If I get to that point, I have been given firmware files from the
> vendor:
>
> 4076546464 3602624 amss.bin
> 1400223385 57936 bdwlan.bin
> 1400223385 57936 bdwlan.e0102
> 1400223385 57936 bdwlan.e0104
> 1400223385 57936 bdwlan.elf
>  691636418 57936 bdwlan01.e01
> 1400223385 57936 bdwlan01.e02
>  691636418 57936 bdwlan01.e03
> 3117335203 57936 bdwlan01.e04
> 1014175487 266684 m3.bin
>
> They are different than those from your repo, but maybe I can use
> bdwlan01.e04 as the board file.

Yes, that's what I would also suggest to test first: take the firmware
from ath11k-firmware.git and the board file from the vendor.

From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-03 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

@ 2020-11-25 13:22         ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-11-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

On 03/11/2020 14.56, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Devin Bayer <dev@doubly.so> writes:
>
>> On 02/11/2020 19.51, Kalle Valo wrote:
>>>
>>> To my knowledge, from ath11k point of view, QCA6391 should look the same
>>> as QCA6390 but most likely the board file for QCA6391 is different.
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> They are different than those from your repo, but maybe I can use
>> bdwlan01.e04 as the board file.
>
> Yes, that's what I would also suggest to test first: take the firmware
> from ath11k-firmware.git and the board file from the vendor.

I would like to report that with your latest qca6390-bringup branch my QCA6391
card is working well with just the one MSI vector. I'm using the board file for
6390 from the linux-firmware repo.

Thanks for the fixes :)

~ dev

* Re: ath11k with QCA6391
@ 2020-11-25 13:22         ` Devin Bayer
From: Devin Bayer @ 2020-11-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

@ 2020-11-26 10:04           ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-26 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k

Devin Bayer <dev@doubly.so> writes:

> On 03/11/2020 14.56, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Devin Bayer <dev@doubly.so> writes:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> They are different than those from your repo, but maybe I can use
>>> bdwlan01.e04 as the board file.
>>
>> Yes, that's what I would also suggest to test first: take the firmware
>> from ath11k-firmware.git and the board file from the vendor.
>
> I would like to report that with your latest qca6390-bringup branch my QCA6391
> card is working well with just the one MSI vector. I'm using the board file for
> 6390 from the linux-firmware repo.
>
> Thanks for the fixes :)

Great, thanks for the report. It's always helpful to know what is
working or not working on the field.

From: Kalle Valo @ 2020-11-26 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Bayer; +Cc: linux-wireless, ath11k