* [Qemu-devel] VNC key presses not correct
@ 2013-08-15 12:43 Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2013-08-15 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi all,

I'm struggling with the QEMU VNC on qemu-kvm-1.2.0 a bit, the following two
things are not working properly:

1) Shift key pressed and hold for several seconds causes multiple shift key
press + release events => I would expect getting one press, one or more hold and
one release event (minor issue)
2) German Umlaute and german keyboard layouts are not interpreted properly. I
added some debug output into:

static void do_key_event(VncState *vs, int down, int keycode, int sym)
{
    printf("do_key_event1: %d %d %d\n",down,keycode,sym);

and:

void kbd_put_keycode(int keycode)
{
    if (!runstate_is_running() && !runstate_check(RUN_STATE_SUSPENDED)) {
        return;
    }
    if (qemu_put_kbd_event) {
        printf("kbd_put_keycode: %d\n",keycode);
        qemu_put_kbd_event(qemu_put_kbd_event_opaque, keycode);
    }
}

This reports to me when e.g. pressing "#" on a german keyboard:
do_key_event1: 1 4 35
kbd_put_keycode: 4
do_key_event1: 0 4 35
kbd_put_keycode: 132
=> This results into a "3" on the guest side...

And when I press the "3" on the german keyboard, I get the following events:
do_key_event1: 1 4 51
kbd_put_keycode: 4
do_key_event1: 0 4 51
kbd_put_keycode: 132

=> result is a "3", too...

And when pressing one of the Umlaute (ä), I get a keymap error:

Warning: no scancode found for keysym 228
do_key_event1: 1 0 228
kbd_put_keycode: 0
Warning: no scancode found for keysym 228
do_key_event1: 0 0 228
kbd_put_keycode: 128
do_key_event7: 0 0 228

=> why is 228 not transported to the guest? this is definitvely the correct sign
- according to the table in vnc_keysym.h ...
{ "adiaeresis",           0x0e4},

I tested it with several VNC clients - all with the same results.

Any hints and ideas how to get it running properly would be great.

When I use the same system directly via SDL and a real hardware keyboard, it
works perfect - without changing anything in the qemu configuration even with
different keyboard layouts (I tested US/International, German, French and Spain
keyboards)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Erik

* Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC key presses not correct
@ 2013-08-16 13:50 ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2013-08-16 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull; +Cc: qemu-devel

Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm struggling with the QEMU VNC on qemu-kvm-1.2.0 a bit, the following two
> things are not working properly:

Have you tried to reproduce on a current version?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC key presses not correct
@ 2013-08-19 16:18   ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2013-08-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster, Erik Rull; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi Markus,

I would like to try it - see the python-traceback thread - when qemu
compiles, I will definitively try it with the 1.6.0.

Best regards,

Erik

@ 2013-08-21 19:44   ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2013-08-21 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster; +Cc: qemu-devel

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm struggling with the QEMU VNC on qemu-kvm-1.2.0 a bit, the following two
>> things are not working properly:
>
> Have you tried to reproduce on a current version?

Hello Markus,

yes, I was able to reproduce this with the released qemu-1.6.0 from the
qemu-wiki website. Character mistakes are the same when opening a Notepad
on Windows XP on the guest.
Maybe nobody cares because english is the layout used nearly everywhere :-)
And it is not related to the host operating system, I used a Debian 6.0 and
a self built linux - both with the same effect.
And it is not related to the VNC client, I tried several clients on several
operating systems, all with the same result.

Do you see this effect with a non-english input layout on your side, too?
When using SDL/direct input everything is great.

@ 2013-08-22  7:13     ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2013-08-22  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull; +Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> writes:

> Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm struggling with the QEMU VNC on qemu-kvm-1.2.0 a bit, the following two
>>> things are not working properly:
>>
>> Have you tried to reproduce on a current version?
>>

> Hello Markus,
>
> yes, I was able to reproduce this with the released qemu-1.6.0 from
> the qemu-wiki website. Character mistakes are the same when opening a
> Notepad on Windows XP on the guest.

Thanks!

> Maybe nobody cares because english is the layout used nearly everywhere :-)

I nobody cared, we wouldn't ship it :)

Cc'ing Gerd, who knows more about VNC than I do.

> And it is not related to the host operating system, I used a Debian
> 6.0 and a self built linux - both with the same effect.
> And it is not related to the VNC client, I tried several clients on
> several operating systems, all with the same result.
>
> Do you see this effect with a non-english input layout on your side, too?
> When using SDL/direct input everything is great.

Your initial report has details on some keypresses.  Please also tell us
your complete QEMU command line, and your complete VNC client command
line(s).

* Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC key presses not correct
@ 2013-08-22 21:54       ` Erik Rull
From: Erik Rull @ 2013-08-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster; +Cc: qemu-devel, Gerd Hoffmann

Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Erik Rull <erik.rull@rdsoftware.de> writes:
>
>> Markus Armbruster wrote:

>>> Have you tried to reproduce on a current version?
>>>

>> Hello Markus,
>>
>> yes, I was able to reproduce this with the released qemu-1.6.0 from
>> the qemu-wiki website. Character mistakes are the same when opening a
>> Notepad on Windows XP on the guest.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Maybe nobody cares because english is the layout used nearly everywhere :-)
>
> I nobody cared, we wouldn't ship it :)
>
> Cc'ing Gerd, who knows more about VNC than I do.
>
>> And it is not related to the host operating system, I used a Debian
>> 6.0 and a self built linux - both with the same effect.
>> And it is not related to the VNC client, I tried several clients on
>> several operating systems, all with the same result.
>>
>> Do you see this effect with a non-english input layout on your side, too?
>> When using SDL/direct input everything is great.
>
> Your initial report has details on some keypresses.  Please also tell us
> your complete QEMU command line, and your complete VNC client command
> line(s).

Sure, here it is:
./qemu-system-x86_64 -drive file=../../../qemu-img/windows.img,cache=off
-readconfig ../docs/ich9-ehci-uhci.cfg -device usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0 -boot
c -no-acpi -monitor telnet::5100,server,nowait -vnc :1 -m 1024 --enable-kvm
-cpu host

Client is e.g. Ultra VNC 32 bit under Windows XP V 1.0.8.0 => Just enter
the IP::Port and connect. Or RealVNC in the same way.
Client OS has german keyboard and german keyboard layout - on the QEMU
guest side it doesn't matter which input language is set.
Guest is Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

@ 2013-08-22 22:26         ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2013-08-22 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Rull; +Cc: Markus Armbruster, Gerd Hoffmann, qemu-devel