* boot hang using OMAP for-next + Russell's for-linus
@ 2011-05-27 21:27 Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2011-05-27 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap; +Cc: Russell King

FYI... I just found this, but won't be able to look into it until next
week, so if anyone needs a weekend debug project...

Using Tony's for-next branch, I'm able to boot an omap2plus_defconfig (+
busybox initramfs) kernel on my 3430/n900 just fine.   I then tried to
merge in Russell's for-linus branch and it hangs during boot.

It appears to hang in the init/registration of i2c busses.  Commenting
out the i2c bus registration from board-rx51-peripherals and disabling a
few of the users of i2c, I was able to boot.

Kevin

* Re: boot hang using OMAP for-next + Russell's for-linus
@ 2011-05-30  8:05 ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2011-05-30  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Hilman; +Cc: linux-omap, Russell King

* Kevin Hilman <khilman@ti.com> [110527 14:24]:
> FYI... I just found this, but won't be able to look into it until next
> week, so if anyone needs a weekend debug project...
>
> Using Tony's for-next branch, I'm able to boot an omap2plus_defconfig (+
> busybox initramfs) kernel on my 3430/n900 just fine.   I then tried to
> merge in Russell's for-linus branch and it hangs during boot.
>
> It appears to hang in the init/registration of i2c busses.  Commenting
> out the i2c bus registration from board-rx51-peripherals and disabling a
> few of the users of i2c, I was able to boot.

Looks like at least v3.0-rc1 boots just fine, so whatever that was
has been already fixed.

Regards,

Tony

* Re: boot hang using OMAP for-next + Russell's for-linus
@ 2011-05-30 13:28   ` Santosh Shilimkar
From: Santosh Shilimkar @ 2011-05-30 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: Kevin Hilman, linux-omap, Russell King

Tony,

On 5/30/2011 1:35 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Kevin Hilman<khilman@ti.com>  [110527 14:24]:
>> FYI... I just found this, but won't be able to look into it until next
>> week, so if anyone needs a weekend debug project...
>>
>> Using Tony's for-next branch, I'm able to boot an omap2plus_defconfig (+
>> busybox initramfs) kernel on my 3430/n900 just fine.   I then tried to
>> merge in Russell's for-linus branch and it hangs during boot.
>>
>> It appears to hang in the init/registration of i2c busses.  Commenting
>> out the i2c bus registration from board-rx51-peripherals and disabling a
>> few of the users of i2c, I was able to boot.
>
> Looks like at least v3.0-rc1 boots just fine, so whatever that was
> has been already fixed.

I noticed couple of issues with v3.0-rc1 as reported [1]
on OMAP4430 SDP. Am I missing any trick for the console issue.

Regards
Santosh
[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@vger.kernel.org/msg50126.html

* Re: boot hang using OMAP for-next + Russell's for-linus
@ 2011-05-31 16:13   ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2011-05-31 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren; +Cc: linux-omap, Russell King

Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> writes:

> * Kevin Hilman <khilman@ti.com> [110527 14:24]:
>> FYI... I just found this, but won't be able to look into it until next
>> week, so if anyone needs a weekend debug project...
>>
>> Using Tony's for-next branch, I'm able to boot an omap2plus_defconfig (+
>> busybox initramfs) kernel on my 3430/n900 just fine.   I then tried to
>> merge in Russell's for-linus branch and it hangs during boot.
>>
>> It appears to hang in the init/registration of i2c busses.  Commenting
>> out the i2c bus registration from board-rx51-peripherals and disabling a
>> few of the users of i2c, I was able to boot.
>
> Looks like at least v3.0-rc1 boots just fine, so whatever that was
> has been already fixed.

Indeed, rc1 is booting fine for me now.

Kevin