From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <avarab@gmail.com>
To: ZheNing Hu <adlternative@gmail.com>
Cc: Git List <git@vger.kernel.org>,
	Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com>,
	Christian Couder <christian.couder@gmail.com>,
	Hariom verma <hariom18599@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GSOC] How to improve the performance of git cat-file --batch
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 23:20:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jul 24 2021, ZheNing Hu wrote:

> After reusing ref-filter logic for cat-file --batch, the function of
> cat-file --batch has been enhanced,
> but the performance of cat-file is severely degraded. So we need a
> better solution to solve it.
> its last version is here:
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/pull.993.v2.git.1626363626.gitgitgadget@gmail.com/
>
> Use google doc to show some of my recent ideas:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hyM-ecMd8C_TJ3OsOn46nMr8ZxCUxeK7HKj-bRkq3sk/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Anyone is welcome to comment and suggest better solutions!

Having looked at that Google Doc it seems to just discuss "Plan A", or
there some multi-doc magic and there's a "Plan B", or...? I'm not very
familiar with Google Docs.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to just send this as an E-Mail to the mailing
list.

Having skimmed it I'm a bit confused about this in reference to
performance generally. I haven't looked into the case you're discussing,
but as I noted in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/87im1p6x34.fsf@evledraar.gmail.com/ the
profiling clearly shows that the main problem is that you've added
object lookups we skipped before.

I think any plan to improve performance should start with a perf test,
see which of your patches have performance regressions, if some don't
and are otherwise OK perhaps those can go in earlier.

Then we'll have the smallest possible set of changes that's correct, but
introduces performance regressions, and can look at what those are doing
to slow things down...