* FAT : FAT16 support maximum 4GB file/vol size like WinXP or 7.
@ 2011-07-24 13:08 NamJae Jeon
From: NamJae Jeon @ 2011-07-24 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hirofumi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello Hirofumi

Win NT/XP/7 increased the maximum cluster size to 64KB, and file/vol
size increased 4GB also.

Although increasing , the file size of  linux FAT is still limited at 2GB.

I found that it is limited by sb->s_maxbytes(0x7fffffff) when
partition is formatted by FAT16.

I think that sb->s_maxbytes in fill_super should be set to 0xffffffff
like Fat32.

I want to know your opinion.

Thanks.

* Re: FAT : FAT16 support maximum 4GB file/vol size like WinXP or 7.
@ 2011-07-25 20:19 ` OGAWA Hirofumi
       [not found]   ` <CAKYAXd-KftOw-YMoA82-75Yp6FNYAXmna+5Fxe0JCMmUB3+-bg@mail.gmail.com>
From: OGAWA Hirofumi @ 2011-07-25 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NamJae Jeon; +Cc: linux-kernel

NamJae Jeon <linkinjeon@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Hirofumi
>
> Win NT/XP/7 increased the maximum cluster size to 64KB, and file/vol
> size increased 4GB also.
>
> Although increasing , the file size of  linux FAT is still limited at 2GB.
>
> I found that it is limited by sb->s_maxbytes(0x7fffffff) when
> partition is formatted by FAT16.

Yes. Now, only FAT32 allows it.

> I think that sb->s_maxbytes in fill_super should be set to 0xffffffff
> like Fat32.
>
> I want to know your opinion.

In my knowledge, Windows was limiting it as 2GB intentionally for
compatibility reason.

If Windows changed mind, I think it's good that we allow it too for 64KB
cluster. BTW, you can select FAT16 with 64KB on Windows?

Thanks.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>

@ 2011-07-25 22:32     ` NamJae Jeon
From: NamJae Jeon @ 2011-07-25 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OGAWA Hirofumi; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi.

And after modifing 0xffffffff, I confirm that it is working well such
as copying file of over 2GB size, etc..

Thanks