* [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] AutoNUMA enhancements to optimize Tiered Memory
@ 2020-02-13  9:08 Huang, Ying
From: Huang, Ying @ 2020-02-13  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc, linux-mm; +Cc: Dave Hansen, Dan Williams, Tim C Chen, Feng Tang

Topic: AutoNUMA enhancements to optimize Tiered Memory

Traditionally, all RAM is DRAM.  Some DRAM might be closer/faster than
others, but a byte of media has about the same cost whether it is close
or far.  But, with new memory tiers such as High-Bandwidth Memory or
Persistent Memory, there is a choice between fast/expensive and
slow/cheap.

The existing reclaim mechanisms work wonderfully for moving cold data
out of fast/expensive tiers.  However, reclaim does not work well for
moving hot data which might be stuck in a slow tier since the pages near
the top of the LRU are the most recently accessed only if there’s
regular memory pressure on the slow/cheap tiers.

Fortunately, AutoNUMA *can* find recently-accessed pages regardless of
memory pressure.  We have repurposed it from being used for
location-based optimization to being used for tier-based optimization.
We have also optimized it for better hot data identification, such as to
find frequently-accessed pages instead of recently-accessed pages, etc.
We will show our findings so far, and discuss the remaining problems,
potential solutions, and alternatives.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-13  9:09 UTC | newest]