* Write intent bitmaps
@ 2009-06-08  2:10 Leslie Rhorer
From: Leslie Rhorer @ 2009-06-08  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I have been reading a bit about write-intent bitmaps on RAID arrays, and I
am considering adding them to my arrays.  I have a few questions:

1. The write-intent bitmap seems to be rather similar to a file system
journal.  Are there any features of the bitmaps which distinguish them from
a journal, other than the fact they operate at the RAID layer, of course,
instead of the filesystem layer?

2. On a RAID5 or RAID6 array, how much of a performance hit might I expect?

3. The threads I have read all speak about the benefits during a power
failure.  Power failures are not the only source of dirty shutdowns,
however.  Are there any benefits to a bitmap for recovering a failed array
or a degraded array?  A resync can take more than a day, and the array is
vulnerable during that time.

4. How much space will be required for the bitmnap on an external drive?

5. What happens if the bitmap is lost or the external drive fills up?

6. Would it be best to allocate a small separate partition entirely for the
bitmap?  If so, would ext2 probably be the best choice?  How does one
guarantee the partition and filesystem will be available prior to the
assembly of  the RAID array during boot?

* RAID 5 recovery to not degrade device on bad block
@ 2009-08-23  8:16 Anshuman Aggarwal
From: Anshuman Aggarwal @ 2009-08-23  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NeilBrown; +Cc: linux-raid

Here is a simple feature request which I assume would not be much
logic change for kernel devs familiar with the code.

Essentially, if I understand correctly, the kernel raid code will try
to let the drive fix a bad sector and otherwise fail the device and
degrade the array.
However, if an array is already degraded then this behvaviour can be
very limiting because typically you are in recovery mode and want to
get as much data out to your new disk as you can.

I would say that for an already degraded array, bad blocks should
*NOT* by default cause a single bad block to fail the whole
array...instead just log the bad blocks to the syslog and let the
admin take care of it.

Right now, the big benefit of RAID5 is being affected

Ideally, I'd like to see Neil's road map bad block device handler
implemented (have often thought of tinkering with the block device
code in the kernel to do just that)...but till then a simple check
that an array is  degraded before failing a device which would render
the whole array inoperable should suffice? This could throw big errors
in the syslog but at least the a 2 TB MD array won't be down because
of 1 512 byte sector?

Thanks,
Anshuman